Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swollen gums for about 2 months scared to go to dentist! !

(18 Posts)
Me2you Wed 12-Aug-15 15:23:18

My gums at the top.of my front teeth not my first 2 but just next to them has looked swollen for a few months it looks a bit cracked! ! There's a tiny part what's really sore when I brush it but other than that no pain really. .. I'm sure it's sertraline what's causing it but I know the doctor will say it's not. Has anyone had this and will it go down?? I'm scared my teeth are guna fall out!

mummypig3 Wed 12-Aug-15 15:25:46

It could just be an infection which the dentist will prescribe antibiotics for. You need to get it looked at though

Me2you Wed 12-Aug-15 15:37:53

I hope so I used to go to dentists all the time till I got anxiety now I won't go it's daft really! Thanks

amarmai Fri 14-Aug-15 12:29:58

i got a water pic after having to go to the dentist with swollen gums. It seems to be helping +gargling with salt water too. Sympathise with the anxiety - me2.

Me2you Fri 14-Aug-15 13:45:37

You got a what lol?? Yes been rinsing my mouth in salt water today and put some bonjela om it. I'm scared stuff my tooth is guna fall out or worse teeth!!

ConfusedInBath Fri 14-Aug-15 19:33:54

You probably need a scale and polish by the hygienist.

amarmai Fri 14-Aug-15 21:40:33

It sends a directed water stream wherever you point it inside your mouth. Since i eat a lot of grains , legumes , seeds and nuts i have had awful pain with bits lodging under my gum line and the water pic flushes them out. wish i had bought years ago.

Me2you Sat 15-Aug-15 01:32:12

Oh that's sound good! Maybe I've just got something lodged there making it sore. Yeah I've got an appointment not while 21st of September tho! Bit rubbish when u think I night av got an infection. .had done antibiotics though so started taking them hope they shift it.

Rivercam Sat 15-Aug-15 01:52:34

I've just bought some Corsedyl,mouthwash and use that twice daily for a swollen gum. It's got an antibacterial agent in it and seems to be helping.

mummypig3 Sat 15-Aug-15 10:14:53

Yes corsodyl is good for mild gum infections. My dentist gave it me once. Now I buy it if my gums start to bleed, but have to use it religiously til they're better

Me2you Mon 17-Aug-15 18:01:11

Been using that and rinsing with saltwater it actually looks like my gum has receded a little bit over tgat tooth. Can't get in dentist for 4 weeks should I try n get an emergency app??I don't know. Thanks for replying ladies

mummypig3 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:22:36

Have you recently had a baby? My gums receded a bit after each pregnancy and I've had problems with them bleeding ever since. Dentist doesn't seem concerned but tells me to brush and floss twice a day and use corsodyl

Awholelottanosy Mon 17-Aug-15 18:27:39

My gums were bleeding and sore last year, I was so scared! I made myself go to the dentist and had to have deep cleaning under local anaesthetic. It wasn't nice but I'm so glad I went. The fear is always worse than the reality and the sense of relief was so worth it. They will only get worse if you don't go soon.

Me2you Mon 17-Aug-15 18:59:32

No I haven't got any children yet god knows what they will be like when I do have them! My gums don't bleed at all except maybe when I floss. They used to but I brush my gums better now. I know I really need a good clean and keep up my apps. At Christmas it's 2 year since I went & I eat loads so I bet there not marvellous. Do u think I'm ok to wait till my appointment or try n go earlier? ? I also keep thinking my teeth are moving /wobbling but I think that's me obsessing over then and imagining it ��

Awholelottanosy Mon 17-Aug-15 19:25:43

Try and get an emergency appointment if you can. I rang up in tears as I was terrified my teeth were going to fall out! The receptionist very kindly fitted me in the same day. Just do it to set your mind at rest.

Me2you Mon 17-Aug-15 21:16:31

Have yours been better since the deep clean? Ye I will have to , bit nervous but I can't think of owt worse than my teeth falling out! Good god I hope they don't

Awholelottanosy Mon 17-Aug-15 22:32:14

Yes they were a lot better. Still have to have regular cleans tho.

Gooseberrycrumble2 Mon 17-Aug-15 22:35:48

Xylitol sweetner and xylitol gum can help gums

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now