Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scared of the dentist

(8 Posts)
madein1995 Wed 12-Aug-15 12:41:37

I'm ashamed to be typing this. My teeth are awful, I'm 20 and haven't been to the dentist since I was 11. I don't have a lot of sugar but have been quite lax about brushing my teeth. Well now I'm getting my 'just desserts'. One of my teeth is chipped, and for about a month it didn't hurt. Its been hurting the past fortnight and the pain has been so bad that I've been unable to sleep the past 2 nights. I know I need to go to the dentist and get it sorted, but I'm scared of what they'll say, I have images of being told off for the state of my teeth. Apart from the chipped tooth, one is a Gray colour but doesn't hurt. I'm worried that theye decaying and that they'll be the worst teeth the dentists seen blush

FurryDogMother Wed 12-Aug-15 12:50:43

Get yourself to the dentist - I had been a dentist-avoider for 39 years until earlier this year - teeth were in a right state, but they didn't tell me off, they were really supportive and understanding. I went to my Dr, who prescribed some Valium to help with the nerves before getting any work done. Took five and a half hours with the hygienist to clean the teeth up, and I'm now about to embark on sorting out the remaining problems (3 restorations, one extraction and a small plate to be fitted). I'm still nervous, but I can deal with it, with the help of Valium and a very understanding dentist.

Don't leave it as long as I did - your teeth are most definitely not the worst they've ever seen - even mine weren't! Just take the plunge, make the call and book an appointment. It really won't be as bad as your imagination is making it - promise! smile

madein1995 Wed 12-Aug-15 13:05:06

Thanks, I think going to the doctors beforehand to ask if they can give me anything for nerves is a good idea smile the other thing that's worrying me is money. I'm a student, have a strict budget etc. If I need an extraction/cleaning etc, I dont know how I'll afford it sad my life eh?grin

LIZS Wed 12-Aug-15 13:12:28

They definitely won't be the worst they've seen. The grey tooth may have a dead nerve ( mine was knocked and died) but the tooth could be filled and even veneered to improve colour. Maybe practising some relaxation exercises would enable you to go for the first appointment and do let the dentist know in advance that you are nervous.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Wed 12-Aug-15 13:17:23

I went last month after at least ten years of not going (and before that wasn't exactly regular either blush) and I started off by saying that I was terrified, I hadn't been in ages, and could he please be really really gentle. Which he was, and said that my teeth weren't as bad as he'd been expecting.

I've since been back twice, once to get a crown fitted, and once to see the hygenist (who, bless her said "I see you've been trying really hard here") and an orthodontist (go me!) and everyone was totally lovely. I think they must see lots of dentist-avoiders and try really hard not to be like the old-style dentists who were properly scary smile

I close my eyes and try to zone out while they're doing anything, which helps a lot.

madein1995 Thu 13-Aug-15 12:34:14

I've just got an appointment for Tuesday. Very nervous but bad nights sleep last night so it needs to get sorted, Ive been managing the pain with co codamols but I don't want to keep using them. Wish me luck grin

Olivo Thu 13-Aug-15 15:23:56

Refill try to get something prescribed. I hadn't been for over ten years, got some low dose diazepam prescribed. The first appt I didn't even open my mouth, just chatted, the next time , I let her look without instruments. Now, seven years later, I go regularly and have needed little treatment, touch wood!

IAmCrazyMostOfTheTime Thu 13-Aug-15 18:46:45

I went 2 days ago after avoiding it for 4 years. Totally not as bad as I thought - luckily no work needed. Explain to the dentist you are nervous and they will be able to help you through it. When I've needed work doing in the past I always opt for sedation - would you consider this? Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now