Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallstones - how bad do they have to get before they remove gallbladder?

(20 Posts)
snozzlemaid Wed 12-Aug-15 12:06:49

Just had my third attack of suspected gallbladder pain this morning. Been to see my GP and she is referring me for a scan to confirm.
How bad do they have to get before they remove the gallbladder? I want the bastard out right now!
Severe pain lasted about an hour this morning, but I'm still in a bit of pain now. When I had attacks before the pain went completely once the worst of it was over.
GP has given me some co-codamol which I've just taken, but I'm really worried about this happening again. Especially when I'm at work - i don't know how I'd cope with it there. When it's at its worst I usually end up kneeling on the floor and rocking!

Hoplikeabunny Wed 12-Aug-15 12:12:09

I think all NHS trusts are different i'm afraid. I've had pain for approx 2 years, and was diagnosed via scan about a year ago. The consultant made the decision 2 weeks ago that they will remove my gallbladder, but i've got to wait 6 weeks for a pre-op appointment, and then once i've had that (in a month) i'll hopefully get a date for surgery.

I sympathise, it's horrible sad I'm really struggling with mine today and i'm at work, I want to crawl under the desk and curl into a ball.

I hope they agree to take yours out soon.

Hoplikeabunny Wed 12-Aug-15 12:12:55

P.S- Does the co-codamol work? I've never been offered any painkillers, but would really like some if they work!

snozzlemaid Wed 12-Aug-15 12:14:06

Oh no, that sounds awful. Really don't want to wait too long. I'll be doing all I can to get the bloody thing out of me as soon as possible.

snozzlemaid Wed 12-Aug-15 12:14:59

Not sure yet. I'll let you know. I've not long taken them.

horseygeorgie Wed 12-Aug-15 12:22:32

I had mine out in 2008. I was only 24 at the time but for years previously I had been suffering from IBS...or so we thought!
The attack that changed diagnosis was so extreme Mum took me to hospital. There we saw a Doctor who dismissed my horrific pain and vomiting as indigestion and told me to take some Gaviscon. A very lovely nurse saw Mum crying in the corridor and arranged for us to have a second opinion off another Doctor who diagnosed it correctly. Apparently a large gall stone had started to move down the pancreatic duct so mine was whipped out pretty swiftly. Thanks God for that wonderful Nurse who took the time out of her busy Saturday to help Mum!

Mum had hers out this year and they were very on the ball. From diagnosis to removal it was about 2 months. She couldn't decided if she wanted the op so it was held up.

snozzlemaid Wed 12-Aug-15 13:15:22

Thanks horsey. I'll hang on to the thought of your mum's speedy removal.
About an hour and a quarter since I took co-codamol and the pain is now almost gone.
Not sure if that's because of painkillers or just gone of its own accord.
Will now be terrified of eating for a few days in case I get another attack. I only had cornflakes and milk this morning, so not particularly fatty!

Hoplikeabunny Wed 12-Aug-15 13:52:41

Yours may not be triggered by food, mine never has been, which is good in some respects as I can eat what I like, but bad in others as I have no idea what to avoid doing as there is no pattern to what sets it off!

snozzlemaid Wed 12-Aug-15 13:58:55

So far it does seem to happen after I eat. I can feel it coming on about 15 minutes after eating.

Hoplikeabunny Wed 12-Aug-15 14:15:30

Oh that is a pain- literally! Especially if it is triggered by cornflakes and milk, hardly indulgent food!

hannibalismisunderstood Wed 12-Aug-15 23:23:05

I had a nasty attack last year, ended up being sent to the hospital by the GP but after 4 hours of tests sent home with naproxen (co-codimol doesnt work) and something strong and long lasting for the acid.... felt like a spear through my body! I only get the pain now if I eat anything fatty or too much dairy but have been told surgery is a last resort so you might have a long wait.... my bro in law had to wait until he needed morphine and was basically yellow before they took his out!!

bluejeanswhiteshirt Wed 12-Aug-15 23:27:08

Mine got so bad it was beginning to affect my liver. One night I ate some cereal and it triggered the worst attack I ever experienced and I was blue lighted to hospital and had it removed within 24 hours. Childbirth is nothing compared to gallbladder pain!

snozzlemaid Thu 13-Aug-15 03:40:10

Ok, so I'll be staying away from cereal and dairy then as well as fatty food. I've not yet eaten anything since this attack. Very scared it'll come back.

fermentedvaper Sun 16-Aug-15 16:25:14

I had my scan on Monday although had first attack in May. In the early hours of Saturday morning I had the worst attack ever which went on for approx 5 hours and I ended up in A&E on morphine. Thankfully I have a consultant appointment in a couple of weeks.

I have just cancelled my long awaited holiday as we just can't risk it. I'm gutted but there is little we can do.

foamybeep Sun 16-Aug-15 19:13:50

I had mine out a year ago. I had 2 attacks close together and subsequently got infected. It's awful. The op is so simple too, I felt fine after a few days and could go back to normal eating and daily activities. I had to wait 7 months which wasn't too bad lost loads if weight too. Lots of other things disappeared too like frequent headaches, bloating and feeling sick. I hope they agree to let u have it out. Xxx

Heleng1982 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:38:39

I was on the waiting list for a year then I got a date for it to be removed because it got to the point I couldn't eat anything without having an attack. It really does sucks waiting sad

I had gall stones about 3 years before I even knew what the pain was - I was too scared to find out. Until one got stuck in my bile duct and sent me jaundiced and then I got sent to a&he by a GP. After that I had to wait about 3-4 months for it to be taken out and had a couple nasty infections in the gall bladder during that time. Good luck with it. I've never experienced a pain like it.

ConfusedInBath Mon 17-Aug-15 07:37:24

Pizza,cream and chocolate were my triggers. Bad stuff really.

I never had the ' screaming on the floor, can't breathe ' type of pain.
More like very bad indigestion or like I'd be punched in the solar plexus.
First 'attack' end of Jan and had it out privately in May.

Me23 Mon 17-Aug-15 08:58:23

I was diagnosed in April after a severe attack I was admitted to hospital requiring IV morphine, was admitted again in June after another attack (IV morphine required again) I'm having it out next month, mine isn't triggered by what I eat either. Apart from the major attacks I also have niggles in gallbladder area most days. Most Drs agree that if gallstones are causing symptoms then surgery is advised. My consultant told me once they start playing up it will only get worse.

foxmitten Mon 17-Aug-15 09:07:14

Diagnosed in March after having several attacks that they couldn't find a cause for (they never did an ultrasound). Was told I'd go on the waiting list for surgery. Had worst attack the week after, landed me in hospital for a week because it was causing pancreatitis. The only thing that touched the pain was IV morphine. Once that was under control (they won't operate whilst you're flared up because it's too risky) they whipped it out and I've been fine ever since. Food was never a trigger for my attacks either, it was completely random. Worst pain of my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now