Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Middle ear infection

(11 Posts)
rogueantimatter Wed 12-Aug-15 10:59:36

Started with an ear infection during a very bad cold/flu about two weeks ago. Started taking antibiotics after about a week. Been on them for 48 hours but no significant improvement. Any kind MN-etter have any thoughts.

rogueantimatter Wed 12-Aug-15 13:23:36

Shamelessly bumping (feeling sorry for myself grin )

GlitterTwinkleToes Wed 12-Aug-15 13:30:53

Its only been 48 hours so hopefully the antibiotics will kick in today. Any dizziness of any sort?

Pain relief, endless cups of brew and some cake because you're feeling poorly

kirinm Wed 12-Aug-15 13:32:17

I'm at home due to an ear infection at the moment and feel your pain. I seem to get them regularly. My last one was horrific as had them in both ears and couldn't hear. Keep pushing for stronger antibiotics if they aren't making a difference and assuming you've been given codeine, never allow the pain time to come back because I know how intense it is!

Have you got drops and tablets?

lucretiab Wed 12-Aug-15 13:36:45

In my bitter bitter experience, if I don't start to feel better in 24 hours it's not doing the job. I have questions. .
1 - have you had one before/recently? If so, did you have the same anti bs for it?
2- which antibiotic are you taking/dosage/how many days?
3- Do you have many symptoms now/have the increased/reduced at all in last 48 hours?
4- has your ear perforated/dripped and been icky at any point?

Meanwhile, deal with pain is most important for feeling better. . Nurofen if you're not asthmatic. And a warm heat pack/hot water bottle next to your ear is lovely.

You poor thing - have some of these. . brewcakeflowers

lucretiab Wed 12-Aug-15 13:37:38

So slow typing you've already had cake!

rogueantimatter Wed 12-Aug-15 19:28:47

Thank you for your replies.
I've never had an ear infection before. I don't think it's severe as ibuprofen and paracetamol are managing the pain. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just blocked - although the doc seemed sure it was as it was red apparently and I had a slight temperature. I managed to speak to her on the phone (took a bit of doing) and she said "it's probably viral then" and reluctantly consented to me stopping the antibiotics. I have a dodgy tummy at the best of times, multiple food intolerances and (undiagnosed) chronic fatigue so I think the risk of stopping is outweighed by the harm the antibiotics will definitely do. I forgot to ask if it's okay to continue with decongestants. Long term use can make things worse?

lucretiab Thu 13-Aug-15 09:38:32

Sorry, didn't see this.
Yes you can get a rebound effect from using decongestants for a while, but it doesn't actually make you sick it just means you get a snotty nose again. . But I do have issue with them for another reason.

If you have a lot of catarrh then it dries in situ and sits in the ears/sinuses wherever and can be painful.

If your ear is red that means you have probably have fluid behind the eardrum causing pressure (which will also feel like it's blocked).. And you really don't want that thickening up in there, potentially getting infected and certainly causing discomfort. I reckon you need a mucolytic to loosen/thin the mucus; lots of tissues and annoying for a few days but takes the pressure off your ear.

But obviously talk to a pharmacist.

It's just proved the best way to deal with my recurrent ear infections over a few decades. . And now my poor children who inherited my poxy ear nightmares.

Or you may be all better today :smile

rogueantimatter Thu 13-Aug-15 21:59:08

Thank you very much for the advice. Greatly appreciated. What you say makes sense. The decongestants have a noticeably drying effect. At the moment I can't imagine how the blockage can clear. Sinuses are still a bit sore.

Sorry to hear about you and your DC's troublesome ears. I've heard that some people have (short) Eustachian tubes which predispose them to blocking and infections.

DD had a blocked ear recently but no apparent infection. Unlike mine hers wasn't sore and she could feel fluid moving in it, clicking etc. Mine feels stuffed and I get little stabbing pains from time to time. Ear is slightly sore all the time.

I will google mucolytics. thank you again for taking the time to reply.

PoshPenny Fri 14-Aug-15 22:26:03

When I had an ear infection, the oral antibiotics didn't even touch it, I had three different types and no improvement on any of them. Finally I was prescribed antibiotic ear drops and I felt the improvement very quickly. Would AB ear drops work for you where oral ones are not great? May be worth considering if things get worse (as I fear they might). Worst pain I think I've ever had, you have my sympathy.

rogueantimatter Sat 15-Aug-15 09:28:00

Thank you PoshPenny You poor thing. Thank you for sharing the treatment that worked for you.

I've googled mucolytics and antibiotic ear drops! Both pharmacists I spoke to didn't stock the only mucolytic available to buy without a prescription.

I like the sound of drops - no systemic effects - I'd be in such a state after three rounds of antibios - it's bad enough after one round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now