Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does alcohol make you feel low/depressed the next day?

(17 Posts)
cakedup Mon 10-Aug-15 00:42:29

I have a history of depression but it's very much under control, have been taking anti depressants for years and although I have the odd wobble, am fine.

I went out the other evening for birthday drinks. I'm a bit of a lightweight these days (probably as I don't drink regularly) so did feel quite drunk after a short time.

The next day (yesterday) I felt like shit. I went out in the day with a couple of friends and really struggled to make conversation. My confidence/self esteem was really low, I felt a bit paranoid, edgy and defensive, and found it really hard to enjoy myself even though I'd planned a lovely day out.

Does anyone else feel like this after drinking, and do you take anti depressants? I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

DellaDoolittle Mon 10-Aug-15 00:45:54

Yes, alcohol always makes me feel like this. I'm not currently on anti-ds although I have been in the past. Hangover day always makes me feel extremely anxious and paranoid.

FannyFifer Mon 10-Aug-15 00:46:05

This is absolutely a common thing with alcohol, wld be worse of course if you already suffer from depression.
But yes being on a downer the day following alcohol is not at all unusual.

cakedup Mon 10-Aug-15 00:52:49

Oh, that's reassuring that it's not just me.

Am thinking of giving up drink altogether to be honest.

I'm also more prone to feeling nauseous when drinking which is no fun. I think my body is just not up for it any more!

Twodogsandahooch Mon 10-Aug-15 09:14:58

Yes. Colloquially known as 'the fear'.

HonniBee Mon 10-Aug-15 09:16:14

Yes, particularly if the alcohol is red wine for some reason.

Eternalsunshines Mon 10-Aug-15 09:25:30

Takes me a few days to recover from alcohol, not in a hangover way but my mood deepens so much. I'm not a regular drinker but now I just don't bother at all

Rollermum Mon 10-Aug-15 09:29:45

Yes, don't drink much anymore because got out of the habit with pregnancy a and BFing but when I do I really notice terrible low mood and paranoia for next 2/3 days!

Cluesue Mon 10-Aug-15 09:31:49

Yes, I'm always on a downer the next day,I'm glad I don't go out except very rarely or I'd give up drinking completely probably

cakedup Mon 10-Aug-15 12:38:24

Wow amazing to hear from others experiencing the same as people don't really talk about it. I just don't think it's worth drinking any more.

HonniBee Mon 10-Aug-15 22:34:11

I'm agreeing with that more and more, cakedup.

Janethegirl Mon 10-Aug-15 22:37:58

No such issues, maybe I'm not drinking enough?
Can feel nauseous in the morning without any alcohol the night before though. But I've always been a bit that way.

cakedup Mon 10-Aug-15 22:44:58

Janethegirl I don't think it's always been the case for me. But am finding myself more sensitive to a lot of things as I'm getting older. I can't even eat half the things I used to!

Janethegirl Mon 10-Aug-15 22:51:08

I eat many more different things now I'm older though. Dh is becoming much more 'traditional' in his choices. Not sure if that proves anything.

ApplesTheHare Mon 10-Aug-15 22:52:38

Yeah, that happens to me now I'm older (I'm mid-30s and seems to be very very common among at least similarly aged and older friends). I think it's a commonly documented effect though - think about all the films/books featuring people suffering the post-booze downers??

ziggyziggy Mon 10-Aug-15 22:53:01

often get this, especially if I have been drinking a few days on the trot!

a lot less if i have only small amounts, even better if i take a few days a week off.

it's the worst if i have one or two benders in a week. (no longer do this, thank god).

cakedup Mon 10-Aug-15 23:13:29

Janethegirl I mean things like deep fried foods, bread etc. causing bloatedness, indigestion etc. I remember some years ago on MN, discussing a health topic and an MNer recommended all women take probiotic tablets. I was like. eh? Why would I? And she said most women will need to at some point. I take them every day now!

ApplesTheHare I was still very much living it up in my mid 30s, but I think because i used to drink so much more regularly, I was perhaps a bit more immune to it, or just didn't notice. Whereas now, I drink alcohol on rare occasions, I can really notice the after effects. And the 'post-booze downers' - I guess always associated that with binge drinking or alcoholics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now