Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blood clot in leg

(11 Posts)
Lozy79 Sat 08-Aug-15 13:09:44

My mum has been feeling rubbish all wk with a severe headache. Last night she noticed her calf was swollen so she went to the hospital. The said it was deep vein thrombosis and gave her injections to last till Tuesday, and said because it's a weekend nothing else can be done. She will get a call and hopefully a scan by Tuesday. Her headache is still bad, surely she should be in hospital being monitored? I'm so worried about the clots travelling...does anyone have any experience/advice please?

amarmai Sun 09-Aug-15 02:13:10

can you go with her and sit in the hospital emergency waiting room and at least if something happens, you should be able to get help immediately ?

f1fan2001 Sun 09-Aug-15 02:27:21

I had a thrombosis at the beginning of July and had the same experience. I had an ultrasound which located the thrombosis in my shoulder of all places. I have been given injections to self administer but there was no monitoring ! Even more worrying, I asked if the fact it wasn't in the usual arm or leg if that meant it was better. Was told no, as it was closer to my heart and lungs if it chose to move shock

Lozy79 Sun 09-Aug-15 06:27:52

F1 fan...I hope you have recovered well, not much in the way of reassurance there then!
Took my mum back to hospital and waited hrs again. She was sooo worn out poor thing. They are convinced headache is unrelated. So back to normal waiting plan.

3littlefrogs Sun 09-Aug-15 06:50:15

As long as she is having the injections as instructed there really isn't anything else to be done regarding the clot in her leg. She will be reviewed on Tuesday and given more injections and started on tablets.

WRT the headache - does she have any visual problems? Does she seem confused at all? Any nausea or vomiting? Could she have had an injury?

I think if the headache gets worse or if she develops other symptoms you should take her back to A&E.

It can sometimes happen that when one problem is diagnosed and treated, another condition may not be picked up.

Lozy79 Sun 09-Aug-15 08:34:09

Thanks....She has copd and her oxygen is low, they are saying that could be the cause of the headaches. She doesn't use her oxygen so has been told off..and she is still smoking hmm

PotteringAlong Sun 09-Aug-15 08:41:18

If she doesn't use her oxygen and she's still smoking I'm not sure there will be a lot more they can do for her. At some point she's got to help herself.

3littlefrogs Sun 09-Aug-15 11:18:39

OMG - she must NOT smoke anywhere near oxygen.

I agree with pp - if she won't help herself there is little anyone can do.

Lozy79 Sun 09-Aug-15 14:12:47

You are right, she's been told and using her oxygen today at least.

PotteringAlong Sun 09-Aug-15 18:52:00

Glad there's a move in the right direction flowers

hellomynameis Tue 11-Aug-15 10:24:20

The treatment plan from the hospital was completely correct.

No monitoring is required for short term heparin injection use.

Over the longer term she will be switched to warfarin or similar drug.

I am sorry but just sitting in the A&E waiting room is a ridiculous idea.

Causes of headaches are multifactorial especially in copd patients on oxygen.

Did she actually try taking some regular pain killers ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now