Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Experiences of ovysmen

(17 Posts)
sksk Sat 08-Aug-15 10:01:31

Any good or bad stories? I know everyone reacts differently but I wondered this combination might work better for me than others. Still trying to find something that suits me like Dianette did (8 years and still searching!).

sksk Sat 08-Aug-15 18:20:38

Also wondering how this is in terms of acne and bloating for people, if it had any effect at all.

CharleyDavidson Sat 08-Aug-15 20:51:59

I miss ovysmen. I was on it for years and years. I had no problems with acne, weight, moods, bloating etc.

I had to come off it because I had migraines with aura and the combined pill isn't recommended for that. I asked the GP if it was because it was a risk factor and he said that yes, it is, but it can actually be a cause of the migraines too. And true enough, I haven't had a single one since I was taken off the combined pill. But I was on it for more than 10 years before I had my first migraine (which only started after I went back on the pill after having DD1).

CharleyDavidson Sat 08-Aug-15 20:51:59

I miss ovysmen. I was on it for years and years. I had no problems with acne, weight, moods, bloating etc.

I had to come off it because I had migraines with aura and the combined pill isn't recommended for that. I asked the GP if it was because it was a risk factor and he said that yes, it is, but it can actually be a cause of the migraines too. And true enough, I haven't had a single one since I was taken off the combined pill. But I was on it for more than 10 years before I had my first migraine (which only started after I went back on the pill after having DD1).

sksk Sat 08-Aug-15 22:43:49

Thanks for the reply. I find spotting can be very bothersome so I never manage to stay on anything that makes me bleed. Headaches can be a problem on some, so I guess this might be a wait and see. Do you now use a progesterone only pill?

CharleyDavidson Mon 10-Aug-15 11:58:24

I never had any breakthrough bleeding on ovysmen.

I am on the progesterone only pill now. I was on cerezette and loved that I never had periods ever, but my skin started to become really acne probe, the horrible cystic kind. So I requested to try a different one and I'm now on micronor and it's fab. No periods and my skin is back to normal.

sksk Mon 10-Aug-15 22:25:42

I tried micronor- no breakthrough bleeding but I got really bloated and depressed. I did try cerazette a few years ago but gave up when I was still bleeding heavily 6 weeks later. Funny how different things have an effect.of course it might all be different now compared to how I was a few years ago. It's good to hear some positive stories though!

CharleyDavidson Mon 10-Aug-15 22:28:20

I am really struggling to lose weight, but I am on another medication that has weight gain as one of it's common side effects listed on the leaflet in the packet, so it could be that.

sksk Tue 11-Aug-15 08:45:14

I think it is really interesting how medications can affect us so differently.

DayLillie Tue 11-Aug-15 10:34:32

I had trouble with spotting on the pills I tried until I was put on Ovranette.

Then the FPC put me on ovysmen as they did not do ovranette and said it was the same (which it isn't) but that was fine too.

I was later put on Marvelon then Femodene when 3rd generation progesterone came in and they were fine too.

sksk Tue 11-Aug-15 11:32:06

This is very helpful, thank you. I remember having femodene and I got a lot of spots and flare up of ibs but my ibs is (touchwood) a bit calmer now. I might try ovysmen but I will make a note of the pills you ladies have mentioned here too.

DayLillie Tue 11-Aug-15 11:57:42

Another one to try for acne is Cilest. It has a less androgenic progestogen than ovysmen, but the same amount of the same oestrogen.

I did try this and it worked for me. It just made me incredibly broody, which was bizarre, so I went back to the femodene.

sksk Tue 11-Aug-15 17:10:09

I was on Cilest which possibly have me headaches but they weren't terrible. Now they put you on the cheaper equivalent called Lizinna. I think I will need to sit down and research the options before going back to the GP! It makes no sense to me that Dianette worked so well with such a high level of oestrogen and yet others give me problems- makes me think it is the progestogen that could be the issue.

Vinorosso74 Tue 11-Aug-15 18:11:19

I used to take Ovysmen a few years back with no problems though the pill I got on with best was Brevinor, I don't think that's a commonly used one now though. Hated microgynon(bad skin) and micronor (gave me greasy skin, hair and gained half a stone in the 2 months I took it for). Hope you find one to suit you.

sksk Tue 11-Aug-15 21:44:32

I wonder if brevinor was the branded version of ovysmen? Micronor made me gain weight (never happened to me before this!) made me depressed, bad skin too. Microgynon made me spot and also depressed. Feeling hopeful about ovysmen; you never know- it might just be ok.

DayLillie Wed 12-Aug-15 14:51:47

Dianette works well on acne because the sort of progestogen it contains is anti androgen and this means there is less testosterone in the body. It is not available as only a contraceptive though.

ovysmen is less androgenic than microgynon and contains more oestrogen, so that should be better with the spots and the cycle control. It is still androgenic.

The least androgenic pills are the 3rd generation ones such as Cilest, , Femodene or Minulet, Marvelon or Yasmin but the oestrogenic effects increase (headache). Keeping hydrated during the week off can help with oestrogen withdrawal headaches.

It is all a bit of a balance of finding the effects you are happy with, and those you are prepared to put up with.

I was happy with femodene, but discovered later that the effects that reduce spots also reduce libido. hmm Still, it was better than the 10 day periods and pms I had before I took the pill.

sksk Wed 12-Aug-15 20:55:39

I seem to be going through some bad skin at the moment. Not terrible, though. Libido is practically zero without taking the pill so I doubt that will improve! Femodene gave me spots but no breakthrough bleeding. Odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now