Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods & mefanemic acid

(18 Posts)
UghMug Fri 07-Aug-15 16:23:58

Last period was the worst one I've ever had for pain and quantity so I was prescribed mefanemic acid for the pain. This period started more or less on time so I took the MA but it's nowhere near as heavy as normal & the pain is maneagable. I asked the pharmacist whether this was normal for MA and she said she had never heard of it having that effect before as it's only an anti-inflammatory & that transenamic acid (sp?) is what is prescribed for heavy flow.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has had a similar experience with mefanemic acid where their flow was much lighter or whether it could be my body giving me a rest as a result of my entire insides falling out during my last period? My GP has been of limited help sad

IsItMeOr Fri 07-Aug-15 16:34:27

Yes, my period flow seems to be affected by mefenamic acid.

It never occurred to me to ask my GP about it blush.

I find now that if I take the maximum dose for the first couple of days and then reduce it, I get a bit of a weird stop-start thing happening. So I tend only to take the full dose on the heaviest day, and then reduce it to just two doses per day.

This is purely my personal experience, of course!

scrumpkin Fri 07-Aug-15 16:35:00

Hi
As a teen I suffered terribly heavy painful periods and would often pass out and/or vomit through sheer pain. The doc gave me mefenamic acid which I found only worked if I took it before the pain set in.

I sometimes had heavier flows than others but never put 2 and 2 together (daft teen) and just thought I was having a very slightly lighter time of it and thanked my lucky stars but often the month later I'd be back if full flow so to speak. I just felt that as my periods were SO SO heavy that certain months there was just not as much to 'give'. I still don't know.

The only thing that helped my periods was Dianette. It really did change my life. It's practically impossible to get hold of now as I tried with no luck for 2 years for my poor step daughter who struggles.

I now have the merina which is wonderful and I barely bleed at all.

It's hard to believe after such debilitating pain. Hope you get it all under control x

sksk Fri 07-Aug-15 19:56:57

Mefenamic acid can reduce flow. I don't know why they didn't tell you that it reduces pain and flow- it's been great for me! tranexamic acid is used to reduce flow but it doesn't have the pain relieving properties. It is also used in people who may be prone to bleeding after tooth extractions. Dianette was wonderful and the only pill that suited me, but now it is not easy to get.

UghMug Fri 07-Aug-15 22:19:14

Thanks guys! I'm finding I can't get 4 hours from taking 500mg MA & have been told to take one or two tabs three times a day but looking online it said the dose should be two tablets followed by one every six hours. When it's working, it works well but just not for long enough sad

I was on Yasmin which worked great for me until I fell pregnant while taking it. It didn't stop the pain but gave me lovely light 3day periods. It was the only one that didn't turn me into an all month round screaming banshee. My moods on the pill were considerably worse than off it.

sksk Sat 08-Aug-15 07:54:05

Have you been referred for a scan or further investigations?

GenevaMaybe Sat 08-Aug-15 08:02:28

You can take paracetamol and MA together.

How would you describe your period pain? Where do you feel it? Do you have pain any other times of the month?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 08-Aug-15 09:14:44

UglyMug,

Any pain that is cyclical in nature and gets worse up to and including menses should be investigated further to see if endometriosis is the root cause. Its quite common but very much underdiagnosed (because it is usually only diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy).

In your case I would try and see a gynae.

If your GP is of no real use change GP practice or see another GP within the practice. Taking pills is all very well and good but it does not address why this is happening in the first place; you need to determine the CAUSE.
If it has been happening for a long time as well you really ought to have a gynaecologist referral.

UghMug Sat 08-Aug-15 11:03:52

Hi I've been asking for investigation into cause but am told that's just what happens to some women. I'm not so daft as to believe that's the case so I tried to see another GP in the only surgery we can attend but he said that he didn't want to step on his colleagues toes and did t know what she had in mind for my treatment - erm ask her? I can tell you it was nothing as no return visit was discussed.

The pain starts mid month around ovulation and is more like a period starting ache but not as pinching as when it actually comes. I got spotting with it when it cramped worst and was told some women just spot - I've never had spotting before! More recently I've been feeling it very sharp and painful on the left side of my uterus - again I've told them and nothing was made of this. I did ask if it could be endometriosis or an ovarian cyst but was told it was unlikely (how the hell can she know by looking at my face?)

I wish I had the money to pay for a private gynaecologist sadly I'm a pov.

The problem is I have an historic MH diagnosis and nobody at the surgery takes anything I say seriously as soon as they see it on my notes. Apparently all physical symptoms are in your head, even if the mh diagnosis was wrong. Last visit to the woman 'dealing' with me out of the blue asked if my partner was my dc's father as if that was relevant to my pain. She seemed surprised when I said he was. Y'see having an historic mh condition means you must be some kind of promiscuous woman - sorry that's going off on a tangent. I'm just angry that I'm stuck at this surgery with no support. Argh!

UghMug Sat 08-Aug-15 11:06:37

Fwiw she did test me for chlamydia and gonorrhoea before asking me about my dc's paternity. I knew it would be negative and it was!

balletgirlmum Sat 08-Aug-15 11:12:37

Dd has been prescribed mefanamic acid for exceptionally heavy periods (flooding after 90 mins). Most times now she can go between 3-4 hours.

sksk Sat 08-Aug-15 11:21:51

I would ask to register with another surgery. You need to see either a gynaecologist or a GP with an interest in gynaecology.

UghMug Sat 08-Aug-15 11:35:41

Sksk we're rural and there's only one surgery within our catchment. We tried changing but were rejected by the next closest practice as out with the catchment area.

GenevaMaybe Sat 08-Aug-15 12:12:46

Your symptoms do sound a bit cyst-y or endometriosis like. Could you go to a walk-in when the pain is really bad? They might scan you at least

UghMug Sat 08-Aug-15 17:57:49

I went to out of hours 2 weeks ago where they gave me antibiotics for a uti just in case. Cultures came back negative to gp tho.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to live with it.

I really do appreciate the advice here, I know it sounds like I'm coming back with lots of tried thats and excuses - it's so hard when Drs don't take us seriously. Thank you smile

sksk Sat 08-Aug-15 18:16:47

I think you would be justified in pushing for a Gynae referral. Or at least a complaint to your surgery for not taking you seriously. Maybe push for the referral as changing surgeries does not seem feasible.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 08-Aug-15 18:49:47

"The pain starts mid month around ovulation and is more like a period starting ache but not as pinching as when it actually comes. I got spotting with it when it cramped worst and was told some women just spot - I've never had spotting before! More recently I've been feeling it very sharp and painful on the left side of my uterus - again I've told them and nothing was made of this. I did ask if it could be endometriosis or an ovarian cyst but was told it was unlikely (how the hell can she know by looking at my face?)"

Indeed. That could well be endometriosis from what you are describing and its never been a UTI either. DO not put up with this, you do not have to live with it.

I would push for a referral to a gynaecologist. No its not in your head and many GPs are not up to speed at all when it comes to such problems. Demand a referral and also complain to your local PCT about their overall lack of service and care. This is appalling; the fact too that you are rural is really going against you.

Can you not register in the nearest town to you?.

Scans will not pick up endometriosis if it is there (and I have had more internals and blood tests than I care to mention); you need a laparoscopy to detect it.

sksk Sat 08-Aug-15 18:51:18

Agree- the PCTs don't exist as PCTs now but there may be someone like the head of CCG or local Healthwatch that you can contact; you should still be able to register elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now