Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help! norethisterone.

(9 Posts)
DaisyChain87 Fri 07-Aug-15 11:13:29

Hello, I'm hoping to get some advice.

I took norethisterone to delay my period for 10 days. I woke up last night in agony- extreme abdominal pain, being sick, bad stomach upset, and bleeding very heavily (for me).

DH ended up calling 111 at 3am because I was writhing on the floor screaming from the pain. 111 sent an ambulance- they checked me over and said there was no sign of infection so just rest and see how I am.

Has anyone had this kind of experience with norethisterone before? Does it settle down? I haven't been sick today but am still in a LOT of pain. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Fourarmsv2 Sat 08-Aug-15 11:58:06

Have you stopped taking the NE now? I've always had incredibly heavy bleeding after taking it.

DaisyChain87 Sat 08-Aug-15 12:20:26

I stopped taking it on Monday. I can't believe how bad it is!

pinkfrocks Sat 08-Aug-15 12:47:37

It can have that effect. It's a very thorough way of shedding the lining. I used to use it as part of my HRT regime but have changed to something else. I did used to get heavy bleeding, pain and feeling terrible for half a day.
It will pass- and obviously it's maybe not something you will want to use again or very often.

DaisyChain87 Sat 08-Aug-15 13:35:20

I feel so silly for taking them, I had no idea that the side effects could be this bad. I definitely won't be taking them again!!

YakTriangle Sat 08-Aug-15 13:37:18

I'd heard that the period you get after taking them is really heavy, but I didn't know they could have such a bad effect, I nearly got some before my last holiday but decided against it in the end. I hope you're feeling much better soon.

pinkfrocks Sat 08-Aug-15 15:11:40

'fraid you can't always predict how you will feel sad
I took them for 5 years and sometimes had a lot of period pain, other times hardly any. Not everyone reacts badly, so maybe if you did this again it wouldn't be so bad.

Fourarmsv2 Sat 08-Aug-15 15:46:28

I took them when I hadn't seen my DH for 6m and the after effects were worth it. Wouldn't bother for a normal holiday.

ArabellaRockerfella Sun 09-Aug-15 00:13:47

I took Norethisterone for 3 months on the advice of a gynaecologist I had an op, I had no side affects at all. Maybe it just didn't agree with your body. Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now