Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Non- blanching rash...

(12 Posts)
Bouncearound Wed 05-Aug-15 18:21:22

Ds is 7 and healthy other than a chesty cough he's had for a few days. Today he's developed a rash on his thigh that doesn't disappear when I press or hold a glass on it. It looks a little like a friction burn but it just appeared suddenly about half an hour ago.
He says it doesn't hurt or anything and it doesn't seem to have spread yet. He says it doesn't feel like a bruise (and he has plenty of experience of these!)
Does anyone have any ideas as to what it is? I'm watching it closely and if it starts to spread I'll get him checked out straight away but at the moment he's leaping about the room and chattering non stop.

Bouncearound Wed 05-Aug-15 18:25:29

Here is a (not very good) photo...

Twolefttoes Wed 05-Aug-15 18:29:35

My ds got a non blanching rash when he had some kind of virus, his were more pinpricks though.

Perhaps a call to 111 to be on the safe side, reassuring that he is fine in himself.

Bouncearound Wed 05-Aug-15 18:31:49

He says he feels fine but a little bit hot- I hadn't thought anything of it as he is coughing quite a lot so thought it was just a mild temperature related to that. Think I'll give them a ring for advice but in my experience they nearly always send us to out of hours regardless of the problem!

Twolefttoes Wed 05-Aug-15 18:33:58

Yes, especially when you mention a non blanching rash, but hopefully that will get you seen quickly and reassured.

LadyOrangutan Wed 05-Aug-15 18:37:23

That kind of bruising rash is exactly what I have been taught to look out for (quite often poorly DS, I'm not a medical professional). Other symptoms aren't always there. Don't take any risks. Wouldn't you rather be told that you were being OTT than risking your child's health?

LadyOrangutan Wed 05-Aug-15 18:38:13

Don't wait for it to get worse.

DeeWe Wed 05-Aug-15 18:59:39

That looks more like a bruise than a rash to me.

Ds gets non-blanching viral rashes. We've sat in A&E many a time waiting for a blood test.
However they've told me that the rash is a later symptom, very very unusual to unknown for the child not to be displaying other signs of being very ill by the time the rash appears. In fact they seemed pretty irritated that the general public did go by the rash, as that's meant that some children have come in too late as their parents thought it couldn't be as there wasn't a rash. sad

Saltedcaramel2014 Wed 05-Aug-15 19:02:42

111 will tell you to go to A&E. Everyone understandably seems to go on high alert when it comes to non-blanching rashes. My DS (2) had a tiny one after having a cough/cold type virus. By the time we got to A and E it had disappeared. He was cheerful and energetic as anything. They insisted on keeping us in 24 hours and giving DS iv antibiotics for a week.

Bouncearound Wed 05-Aug-15 20:24:43

Thanks all. It didn't get any worse but got it checked and it's likely to be a viral rash, probably linked to a cough/ cold he's had recently.

Twolefttoes Wed 05-Aug-15 20:33:58

Glad all ok op.

LadyOrangutan Wed 05-Aug-15 21:24:00

Glad to hear. Hope he feels better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now