Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blood tests and MRI after seeing psychiatrist?

(9 Posts)
insanityscatching Tue 04-Aug-15 20:21:10

Ds had what we thought was a breakdown. Essentially he walked out of his job of ten years and then lied for months about this "new" job. Only when he had no money left did this fantasy life become apparent.
He was referred for counselling and prescribed anti depressants which haven't really had any effect and then referred for assessment for ASD and to a psychiatrist who saw him today and referred him to hospital for medical investigation.
Ds has always been so steady and straightforward (middle aged before his time really) so the lies, the deceit and secrecy is completely out of character even now he lies for no reason whatsoever over stupid stuff. So I could see him in town and mention that I'd seen him and he'd totally deny it was him. He'd say he'd been to the opticians unprompted and he didn't need specs then when I asked to see what his prescription said he'd eventually admit he'd lied.
He doesn't drink, smoke or take drugs which would at least be an explanation of some sort I suppose.
Now the psychiatrist wants blood tests and an MRI is this the norm? Obviously I'm worried about ds anyway but probably even more worried at the prospect of their being a medical reason behind it.

ArendelleQueen Tue 04-Aug-15 20:47:28

How old is he, out of interest?

insanityscatching Tue 04-Aug-15 21:01:36

He's 27, I can hardly believe it tbh he's always been so straightforward,old before his time in fact. Now I feel like I don't know him much of the time, I certainly don't know what's real anymore. Even today I needed to see the papers for bloods and MRI referral before I believed him which is an awful way to feel.

ArendelleQueen Wed 05-Aug-15 14:00:55

Oh he's young. sad I'm so sorry, I don't know what to say to comfort you. It's good that they're investigating any physical causes, however scary that may be for you. Perhaps he has a physical condition (thyroid?) that is causing mental health problems. That's not unheard of.

Is your son allowing you to come to appts with him? That may help with you obtaining information so you can know how best to support him.

flowers

GoodGollyMissMollyItsQuiet Thu 06-Aug-15 11:37:29

Is it a head mri they are doing?

Lonelylass1218 Thu 06-Aug-15 19:43:44

Sometime a personality change can be a sign of other things going on such as a growth, bleed or damage to any Brain tissue so maybe they are doing it to rule out anything before seeking a new form of treatment. I am sure it's nothing serious so do not think the worst and try to relax, wish you all the best

Atenco Thu 06-Aug-15 19:47:12

Surely that is the thing with psychiatrists, they do check for physical problems before treating an issue as purely psychological.

starlight2007 Thu 06-Aug-15 19:47:23

With psychiatry..It is normal to eliminate any physical causes , rather than just assuming it is psychiatric illness

ArendelleQueen Thu 06-Aug-15 19:50:10

I agree with the above responses. It's reassuring that they're checking, instead of making assumptions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now