Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Excessive thirst but not diabetes?

(5 Posts)
ArendelleQueen Tue 04-Aug-15 13:24:45

I am constantly thirsty, including waking up in the night needing a drink. I've been guzzling fluids but not necessarily weeing excessively. GP did all the relevant blood tests for diabetes. Everything was normal, except that my sodium is a bit low. GP suspects that's from drinking so much. She didn't have any other suggestions and sent me on my way.

Has anyone had this? If so, what was it?

Whoopsydo Tue 04-Aug-15 16:05:50

Any chance you're pregnant? I couldn't stop drinking when I was.

ArendelleQueen Tue 04-Aug-15 16:06:57

Not a chance. Not had sex for many, many months. Close to a year even.

Reastie Tue 04-Aug-15 17:24:44

Hi,

I had something similar to this. Very gradually over time I drunk more and more. As I drunk more my body got used to it and needed more and more and if I drank a 'normal' amount I'd get terrible headaches from lack of liquid as it was less than I was used to.

My gp diagnosed it as a problem where my body had got too used to large amounts of water and psychologically I got very anxious about it so I saw a cbt therapist who gradually helped me wean myself back to a normal amount.

At its worst I was drinking I'd say around 6 litres a day, and because of my job where I can't easily access the loo when I need to most of that was divided up into the morning first thing and the early evening so I could make sure I was near a loo as it went through. I had to set my alarm 45 minutes earlier than I needed to to get the drink in me!

I'm now down probably as a rough estimate to three litres a day, which is still a lot, but much less than I was on. Drinking so much in a short space of time regularly like I was isn't good for the kidneys and I was worried I'd have problems down the line. I suppose I still could.

Let me know if you'd like any more info on what the therapist did with me. I was dire thirsty for a few weeks reducing the water intake but eventually my body adjusted.

BestIsWest Tue 04-Aug-15 21:20:57

I had a parathyroid problem which led to a calcium imbalance (too high). This made me very thirsty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now