Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Getting through breast abscess surgery

(3 Posts)
Jillgiraffe2004 Tue 04-Aug-15 09:25:46

After 2 unsuccessful aspirations I had breast abscess surgery 3 days ago and am due to get home today. Baby ( 3 moths old) has been on formula during this time ( previously 100% breast fed) due to amount of meds I was on but I have the ok to feed again from tonight. I took a pump to hospital but only managed the good breast - trying on the bad breast interfered with the wound. It should be easier for baby to feed as her mouth is smaller than the pump. So I have a few questions I hope someone can help with. ( have had no answers from hospital, maternity unit, doctors surgery or health visitor)
- is if safe for baby to feed on bad side after lying stagnant so long - I know I need the milk out ( terrified that I haven't expressed for days). Nct adviser seems to think so.
- I have been ill for most of the 3 mths since birth and know I have weeks of recovery ahead ( the wound is an inch cubed hole and needs packed and dressed daily so am terrified of infection/recurrence). Am considering giving up on feeding to move forward mentally and fully take care of my little girl in other ways. She is taking formula no problem but I feel guilty when she looks around for the breast. I wonder if moving to combined feeding would be a good compromise. I could feed evening and morning in prep for going back to work in a few months so she has plenty time to get used to it - but if I begin to get sick again, its an easier transition to stop ( for her and me) than if my milk is full flow. Has anyone experience of this? does reduced flow decrease chance of blocked ducts/mastitis as I am now terrified of this.

I am feeling permanently on edge and a bit traumatised right now so all advice welcome. Thanks

rantypanty Tue 04-Aug-15 10:34:47

Hey Jill, no personal experience of abscess surgery but didn't want to leave your post unanswered. I went through months of mastitis, blocked ducts and scans to check for abscesses so I know how emotional and traumatic the whole thing can be (and I didn't have the surgery either). I just wanted to say you have to do what's right for you, easier said than done I know, but please don't beat yourself up about it. You are doing an amazing thing by putting your daughter first, just make sure you look out for yourself too

Jillgiraffe2004 Fri 07-Aug-15 16:58:52

Thanks for the message of support. I am back home and feeling much better. Baby has removed all the excess milk and is now combination feeding. She is handling it all really well so I think I'll continue this way.

Sorry to hear you have had mastitis so often - hope you've seen the last of it. It's all a much more complicated business than i had anticipated!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now