Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What does high white blood cells and neutrophils mean ?

(6 Posts)
mayaknew Mon 03-Aug-15 16:26:03

Got full blood count done (pregnant) and the results for white blood cells and neutrophils came back abnormal (high) .

WBC 12.8
Neutrophils 9.9

I know these things are connected to immune system but why would they be high and what does it indicate ?

Thanks smile

(Nb mw never mentioned it just put the sheet in my notes so mustn't be concerned but still rather know what it means!)

LadyPlumpington Mon 03-Aug-15 16:29:05

I'd say that it meant that you're fighting off a virus. They are only slightly a bit above normal, so don't worry unless you're feeling rough!

poisonedbypen Mon 03-Aug-15 16:30:16

Just that you've had an infection or are fighting one. Nothing to worry about

mayaknew Mon 03-Aug-15 16:53:23

Thanks I feel much better now the bloods are from a few weeks ago and I hadn't been well so that must be it thanks again smile

hesterton Mon 03-Aug-15 16:54:45

I had this test result last week - fighting off a virus. Hope you feel better soon flowers

Le1890 Mon 03-Aug-15 21:00:38

Hi

Was just to add apparently it's common in pregnancy for high wbc. That's likely why it's not been mentioned to you.

When I was pregnant it was my consultant who said a common error with junior doctors is to panic about high wbc, but that in pregnant woman they are normal. No idea how we were even on this topic btw!!x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now