Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tests to investigate heart

(8 Posts)
Ormally Mon 03-Aug-15 12:08:06

What tests are out there to check health/condition of the heart? I have over the last few years been concerned about a mix of symptoms that can relate to ovaries, gall bladder and thyroid. On blood test basis(es), all seem clear. I have had a couple of scans and it seems there is nothing untoward re. liver. I just feel as if I'm a bit crazy, it is quite stressful because there are some days where I feel worseningly awful but have ruled out quite a few areas, seemingly (indeed, I'm to believe they are in good nick). I'm much more relaxed in terms of school holidays than my usual routine which is a big commute but a couple of days ago I had serious shoulder/back aches and pains and sapping fatigue so I can't put this down to being squashed on a train. I'm mid 30s, & worried.

Twodogsandahooch Mon 03-Aug-15 12:42:58

It would really depend on the sort of symptoms you are having. What makes you think you have a heart problem? Do you have chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitations or unexplained faints?

Basic heart investigations include an ECG (heart rhythm tracing) or an echocardiogram which is essentially an ultrasound of the heart which looks at how well the heart is pumping and whether there is a problem with the valves.

Twodogsandahooch Mon 03-Aug-15 12:45:31

TBH from rereading your post your symptoms don't sound terribly cardiac but obviously worth discussing your concerns with your GP

Ormally Mon 03-Aug-15 13:17:48

Yes to rapid heart beat and a crushing feeling that makes it hard to breathe. I have also found out recently that my lung capacity seems to have taken a dive - used to be excellent due to singing. Nausea with general fuzziness. Rapid pins and needles and numbness when crouching, and other things also.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 03-Aug-15 13:22:58

I was also wondering if you are having ongoing problems with your thyroid gland. Your symptoms mentioned in your last post seem to be pointing towards this.

Twodogsandahooch Tue 04-Aug-15 03:54:02

If you are experiencing periods of rapid heart rate they would start with an ECG and then consider a 24 hour tape - which is where the electrical activity of the heart is monitored constantly for 24 hours to see what happens during one of these episodes.

rembrandtsrockchick Tue 04-Aug-15 07:11:04

I have similar symptoms and have had for six years. Have eventually been to GP and am awaiting a hospital apt. Have been provisionally diagnosed with angina and a dodgy aortic valve. This will be investigated with and echocardiogram, excercise ECG and possibly an angiogram.

What fun...I am sooo looking forward to it!

Not.

Ormally Tue 04-Aug-15 21:21:49

Thanks all...I wish it was a clear thyroid result, but tried on 2 different occasions and nothing so untoward comes up. I can but continue in trying to find out what other untapped organs are playing up. 6 years worries me...it's been about 4 over here to date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now