Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pancriatic C any support or advice

(82 Posts)
kitcat2000 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:06:25

Hi iv been feeling unwell for some time ,im 43 diagnosed 6 years ago with IBS seen consultant recently as very stressed and was making sure it was still IBS and wanted to check all was ok ...he said he still thinks just IBS but im not convinced ..

iv googled and convinced i have PC sad

im pushing to see another consultant NHS and further scans but the doctors just think im over reacting

iv had full bloods done last week , liver FBC inflamitory markers , all normal

but im still not sure

my other symotoms are

bowel motions , mushy
extream fatigue
shivers at times
thirst
i do get from time to time not daily pain left side under ribs
(consultant always said was IBS )

im utterly convinced i have it ...
does anyone have experience of this and any good out comes ? im in tears as iv googled forums and seen such sad out comes ..sad

im so worried ......

please be gentle im so scared ...

So... you've taken a small leap for mankind..from IBS to Pancreatic Cancer... in one small googling leap?!

Please.. and I mean this kindly.. get a grip!!!!!

Do you know how fast and how ILL pancreatic cancer makes you? You have had full bloods done.. trust me if you have pancreatic cancer there would be HUGE markers and they would have been rushing you in for further testing.

IBS sucks.. it truly does . I'm 48 and have had it for years..I also have diverticula disease and bowel strictures.. so know about left sided pain. I get partial blockages on a grimly regular basis (holding off for surgery still) BUT like you , my bloods are ok... therefore there is no reason to think it isn't something else.

Also... pancreatic cancer causes jaundice.. and I don't mean a fractionally yellow tinge. You'd have notice your deep yellow skin and eyes by now....

You can push for more investigation.. a colonoscopy would rule in or out inflammation, diverticula disease, tumours etc But pancreatic cancer with normal blood results is about as likely as winning the lottery.. please relax!

pinkfrocks Sun 02-Aug-15 20:38:00

Pancreatic cancer usually affects people older than you.

If you have IBS has your GP or consultant not recommended the FODMAP diet? 75-80% of people on it have relief from symptoms as long as they stay on the diet. You need supervision when you start it and your GP should refer you to an NHS dietitian who can help you.

Stop worrying. Being blunt, there is no cure for pancreatic cancer. Most people die within weeks. so stop being a drama lama smile

kitcat2000 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:41:52

thank you ....im in bits , i had FBC and liver blood tests , also infalmitory markers were for inflamation , in body but not the one you can get done for PC ...iv only just read about that ...
would something flag up ????on FBC ...

pinkfrocks Sun 02-Aug-15 20:45:53

you're not listening, are you? smile Are you diagnosed also with health anxiety? Your reaction is not rational .

The signs of PC are weight loss, tiredness and jaundice.

From what you say you have none of those.

You have symptoms of IBS.

Please answer what I asked you- is this being treated with the FODMAP diet?

kitcat2000 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:53:01

no its not being treated with food map .

i do have health anxiety yes , im tired all the time , but no jaundice or massive weight loss ....
but iv googled and it all seems to fit to be honest , iv felt rough for months , on off flu symptoms come and go to .
so tired at times .
im convinced i have it sad

ZenNudist Sun 02-Aug-15 20:55:52

You need to step away from google. Shivers fatigue and thirst? Seriously,don't get wound up about PC.

Are you yellow? Are you vomiting? No? Stop worrying. when markers come back normal you stop worrying.

pinkfrocks Sun 02-Aug-15 20:56:42

Talk to your GP or consultant about the FODMAP diet. THis is the latest treatment for IBS. See this link www.wisediet.co.uk

If you had PC and had not been diagnosed for all the time you'd felt unwell, you'd be dead now.

You need help for your mental health, and IBS, not cancer.

kitcat2000 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:59:04

thank you but im utterly convinced , and terrified would something show up in FBC ? or liver ? thay came back ok ....

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 02-Aug-15 21:00:33

Stop using google as of now.

Please get your health anxiety properly treated via your GP; you are driving yourself half insane with anxiety and that will make you ill. It is highly unlikely that you have PC.

Northernlurker Sun 02-Aug-15 21:02:23

You don't have pancreatic cancer op. You do have a significant anxiety issue I think.

eveylikesv Sun 02-Aug-15 21:07:41

The only sure way to diagnose pc is ultrasound scan. Blood counts can be misleading, so are other tests. Unfortunately pc in early stages is close to impossible to detect and by the time you get diagnosis it is usually too late.
Not everyone get jaundice! And although it is more common in older people it affects people of all ages. I knew someone my age (early 30s) who died of it.

My dm never got jaundice, or sudden weight loss. She went through 6 months of going from one consultant to the other all saying to her it's in her head and it's just ibs or stress. By the time she was finally diagnosed she only had 3 months left.
I am not saying this is you but if you are worried get tests done.
Pc is so deadly because early symptoms are often ignored and attributed to other things.
Hope all turns out well for you.

kitcat2000 Sun 02-Aug-15 21:16:13

thanks evey im utterly convinced ,sad iv felt bad for so long i know something is wrong and iv been told again and again its IBS and my anxiety , iv had every blood test going over the past 4 months , i never thought of PC until someone mentioned to me about it then i googled and now im in a right state convinced that this is it as nothing els has been found ...
MY DH thinks im nuts , i have 2 DC and im in tears as the thought of leaving them behind .... sad
theres no way of getting an appointment fast with doctors in my surgery ...it can take 2 weeks , i cant live like this im in such a state ....is there any good out comes ever for someone with this C ...iv googled and only found bad ones .
i know my next step is to get seen and taken seriously by a doctor ....but how ...the only thing i can do is go to A&E or private ...

im in utter tears so scared ...

kitcat2000 Sun 02-Aug-15 21:26:38

im in utter tears i dont know what to do ....

Baddz Sun 02-Aug-15 21:35:47

Stop googling
Get help for your anxiety
If you had pancreatic cancer you would be very seriously ill.
You aren't.
You have just had normal Blood results.
Your anxiety is probably causing most of your symptoms.
If you were vomiting bile, were jaundiced and had lost a lot of weight your fears would be understandable.
The pain under your ribs could be gallstones. It's a pretty classic presentation. Could also account for some of your other symptoms. Ask your gp and see what they think.

pinkfrocks Sun 02-Aug-15 21:54:19

ok- would it help if we all said yes, you have PC.
You will be dead soon.

Does that make you feel better?

No, of course not.

You are ill with a health anxiety. Your GP needs to refer you to the MH team. Please do not go to A&E. you would only be taking up drs precious time for people who are seriously ill, having heart attacks, stroke, road traffic accidents and may actually die if people like you use drs time without a real reason.

pinkfrocks Sun 02-Aug-15 21:57:41

from the website I linked for you.

symptoms of IBS.
THIS is what your dr says you have.

In 2008 The National Institute for Health & Clinical Excellence (NICE) produced guidelines on the diagnosis and management of irritable bowel syndrome. On looking at all the medical research they decided that:

"A diagnosis of IBS should be considered only if the person has abdominal pain or discomfort that is either relieved by defecation or associated with altered bowel frequency or stool form. This should be accompanied by at least two of the following four symptoms:
1.Altered stool passage (straining, urgency, incomplete evacuation)
2.Abdominal bloating, distension, tension or hardness
3.Symptoms made worse by eating
4.Passage of mucus

Other features such as lethargy, nausea, backache and bladder symptoms are common in people with IBS and may be used to support the diagnosis"

Theas18 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:08:45

Just out of interest what WOULD convince you you don't have cancer?

If a negative scan would truely do so ( and im 99.9% sure you wouldn't believe it anyway , we'd have a thread about the chances of a cancer being missed etc afterwards ) the put your hand in your pocket, even max out a credit card and get a private scan. But you haven't believed the tests you have so far, so why would you believe that?

Step away from google .you have a positive diagnosis that explains your symptoms. Blood tests support this. Sort out proper treatment for your health anxiety.

TheFormidableMrsC Sun 02-Aug-15 22:10:49

I haven't read the whole thread but my experience of somebody with pancreatic cancer is as follows :

Severe jaundice, almost overnight, woke up bright yellow, eyeballs and everything.
White stools.
Pain in the middle of the back so severe it was only eased by being bent double.
Sudden rather shocking weight loss.

Please don't Google and I speak of somebody who has suffered from Health Anxiety for many years. I kind of have it under control now, other life stresses have taken over. Clearly if you are convinced, you need to convince your GP to send you off for the appropriate scans. I really really feel for you, I understand the fear, especially when you have young DC's. There is a really good website called "No More Panic"...Google it and put UK afterwards. I have found that to be really helpful and calming. Full of anxious heads like us but with lots of sensible advice.

OP, I sincerely hope you haven't got PC but I do send you every good wish flowers

Lagoonablue Sun 02-Aug-15 22:16:02

Second no more panic forum. Really helpful when I had HA.

Good outcomes for PC. Google Wilkos Johnson.

BUT in all likelihood you do not have it. Just thinking.........have you had a test for Coeliacs? That might explain some of your symptoms and shows similarity to IBS.

yousuf1 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:31:24

I have similar problems if it was something to do with your pancreas it would show up in the bloods as in the amlayse level will be high and also the lipase level. I know how it feels when ur not well and no none can find out why. I've had a year of living with this but I have been very ill in and out of hospital nearly every other week. Of it is PC u would need a ct and MRI scan which would show it up. However I have been told by the dr they is no screening for PC and I'm afraid it is one off the worst one to have.
Look into h pylori, have u had your gall bladder out? It could be gall stones. Try not to worry I know it's easier said.

yousuf1 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:31:30

I have similar problems if it was something to do with your pancreas it would show up in the bloods as in the amlayse level will be high and also the lipase level. I know how it feels when ur not well and no none can find out why. I've had a year of living with this but I have been very ill in and out of hospital nearly every other week. Of it is PC u would need a ct and MRI scan which would show it up. However I have been told by the dr they is no screening for PC and I'm afraid it is one off the worst one to have.
Look into h pylori, have u had your gall bladder out? It could be gall stones. Try not to worry I know it's easier said.

kitcat2000 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:40:29

thank you ,im trying to stay calm but its so hard...im convinced this is the only explanation , my consultant was very flipant when i last saw him just over 3 weeks ago said i had severe IBS , he did a infamitory test on a BM i took in , sent it away iv heard nothing so presume if that showed something he would have been in contact ASAP that was almost 3 weeks ago ... would that show something to do with the Pancrias ? i prey you are all right and im over reacting ...im going to try get a private scan asap and see doctor asap .... due to see consultant week tomorrow ....so will tell my concerns then ....
just cant seeem to stop worrying ....sad

Northernlurker Sun 02-Aug-15 23:58:10

You can't stop worrying because you have a severe anxiety problem. That's what you need to ask your GP about. Please don't waste your money on a private scan.

tobee Mon 03-Aug-15 01:45:33

Hello. As a fellow sufferer of health anxiety, what jumped out at me from your post was "I never thought of PC until someone mentioned to me about it". This is classic health anxiety behaviour. I know. I (and thousands of others) have done that, too. You can't catch pancreatic cancer from someone mentioning it in your presence. Likewise, you cannot catch heart attacks from watching someone have one on 24 hours in A&E. You can't get MS from seeing an item about it on the news. You can't have a stroke from reading a post about someone having one on a mumsnet general health thread. I strongly advise you to try and get your gp to put you on the waiting list for some CBT. I did a group one, it really helped me. In the meantime, there are some great self help books to read on panic and also on health anxiety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now