Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

heartburn or heart related

(14 Posts)
bigbluebus Sat 01-Aug-15 21:18:06

For most of this week I have had some discomfort in my chest and at times my back. I don't normally suffer from heartburn but have assumed that these are the symptoms. I took some gaviscon which didn't seem to have much effect but by Friday the symptoms had gone.

I am not overweight and usually exercise 3 times a week - in fact on Friday I ran 3.5 miles as usual with no ill effects.

Today, the discomfort is back in both my chest and back with the addition of aching down my left arm and a tightness around the bottom of my ribcage as if my stomach is swollen and pushing on my ribs. I have not eaten a particularly heavy meal nor anything spicy - not that doing either of those things normaly brings on such symptoms.

I am inclined not to think that I'm having a heart attack, but the fact that a friend recently ignored some symptoms of chest pain and nearly died of a heart attack recently is playing on my mind.

So any of you who suffer from indegestion/heartburn - are the symptoms I am suffering from typical of that condition or should I get this checked out further.

Just to add that my heart rate is normal as are my O2 levels which I'm sure they wouldn't be if I was having heart problems.

Baddz Sat 01-Aug-15 21:24:19

Chest pain is an emergency. Call 999.
Women present differently from men wrt heart attacks.
Please go and get checked out.

Baddz Sat 01-Aug-15 21:25:00

I should point out my dad ignored left arm pain for a few days and died of a cardiac arrest.
Please.
Get checked out.

mummypig3 Sat 01-Aug-15 21:28:12

Get checked out. Could be gallstones or something other than heart related with those symptoms. Ring 111 and they will tell you if you need a&e or ooh

bigbluebus Sat 01-Aug-15 21:33:16

Sorry to hear about your Dad Baddz. My Dad also died of a cardiac arrest after ignoring symptoms he'd had for months which he had self diagnosed as something else. I did eventually persuade him to see his GP but he went in with a self diagnosis from Dr Google and the GP fell for it. It is only with hindsight we realised they were probably early warning signs. He was, however, 86 and overweight.
My friend who had the cardiac arrest had also had symptoms for a number of weeks which he had ignored - also overweight and in late 60's.

I appreciate what you are saying about chest pain but it doesn't feel like 'that sort of pain' and I don't think I could run 3.5 miles in less than 30 mins with no ill effects if I was having a minor heart attack - which is why I am asking about heartburn/indigestion symptoms

bigbluebus Sat 01-Aug-15 21:35:23

mummypig DH had gallstones and this is nothing like what he suffered from. He was in so much pain he couldn't even speak to tell me what the problem was. Mine is more severe discomfort than pain IYSWIM.

lljkk Sat 01-Aug-15 21:37:22

Heartburn feels like burning in your throat down into your chest and even slightly like you might be sick. It doesn't include back pain at all ime, or tingles down the arm or tightness around the rib cage.

Sorry, I think you should be checked out. Maybe not tonite since it's Saturday & I'd risk death to stay out of A&E myself on a Saturday evening, but first thing Monday, or maybe OOH tomorrow.

lljkk Sat 01-Aug-15 21:39:02

ps: how do you know your O2 levels, that's intriguing!

bigbluebus Sat 01-Aug-15 21:52:27

lljkk I've got a Sats monitor as DD has a lung condition.
Agree A&E on Saturday night is probably worse than dying - have experienced the fall out before with DD.
Will see how it goes tonight after more Gaviscon and either ring OOH tomorrow or GP on Monday.

WiIdfire Sat 01-Aug-15 22:10:04

Telling the difference between heartburn and angina is something that even very experienced medical professionals have difficulty with, so not something you can tell over the internet. The arm pain in particular is of concern (and your O2 levels may well be normal even with heart problems) so please see a doctor.

mummypig3 Sat 01-Aug-15 22:19:55

Please give ooh a ring. They can make an appointment for you to see a doctor tonight or first thing in the morning, if you can get some sleep

mummypig3 Sun 02-Aug-15 13:14:12

How are you today op?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 02-Aug-15 13:19:51

You can have back pain with heart burn but what you're describing should be checked out asap!

lljkk Sun 02-Aug-15 19:45:53

?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now