Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How do I get a second opinion...

(8 Posts)
HHH3 Wed 29-Jul-15 20:37:58

For my 2 year old DS? Do I just go to the GP and ask to be referred to someone else? Or is there a different way to go about it?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 29-Jul-15 23:04:47

I'd phone in the morning and say you'd like an appointment as you recently had one with y but you would like a second opinion.

HHH3 Thu 30-Jul-15 07:14:47

Sorry - I didn't make my op clear. He's seen a consultant and I want a second opinion. Do I go back to the GP and ask to be referred elsewhere?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Jul-15 21:40:00

If you have the money, you could find out if there is a paved who specialises in your DSs condition and pay for a consultation.

BestIsWest Thu 30-Jul-15 21:41:56

That's what I did OP. I researched first and found someone I wanted to be referred to and my GP wrote to him.

BestIsWest Thu 30-Jul-15 21:44:08

to get a GP referral ink{\]]x}. You are entitled to a second opinion.

BestIsWest Thu 30-Jul-15 21:44:57


Twodogsandahooch Fri 31-Jul-15 17:33:00

Yes - go to your GP and ask to be referred to a different hospital/consultant. This is a very common scenario. HCPs won't think you are being difficult or awkward.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: