Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore mouth for over 3 months. What could this be?

(10 Posts)
FraterculaArctica Wed 29-Jul-15 14:42:05

For the last 3 or 4 months I have had recurrent episodes of soreness in my mouth - soft palate (sometimes red and obviously inflamed - further forward than a typical sore throat though; there also seem to be yellowish patches) and tongue (sore patches on it including a great fissure, intermittent sore blisters, currently a whitish sore patch at the front of the tongue). Mouth also tastes constantly salty/metallic. The symptoms come and go a bit - week very bad, week less bad kind of thing.

I don't know if any or all of this is related to an infected root canal which I'm waiting to have further treatment for.

Saw GP 2 weeks ago who said she couldn't see anything, and said 'well it doesn't sound like anything serious - what are you worried about?' I'm not worried about anything, it's just very unpleasant and I've never had anything like this before!

Has anyone had anything similar, or any dentists able to advise? I'm wondering at what point I should go back and push for more investigation...

CrumbsThatsQuick Wed 29-Jul-15 14:46:49

Oral thrush?

FraterculaArctica Wed 29-Jul-15 14:52:53

Have wondered that but I thought that had bigger more obviously white patches?

Willdoitinaminute Wed 29-Jul-15 20:08:18

Metallic taste and sore tongue can be a symptom of anaemia. Might be worth having bloods checked.

FraterculaArctica Wed 29-Jul-15 21:58:25

Have had bloods done and ferritin is low-ish (22), others look OK. Would anaemia cause angry red sore patches across back of mouth? It's got much worse this evening.

YeOldeTrout Wed 29-Jul-15 22:05:57

have you seen a dentist? They can usually diagnose this stuff well.

ommmward Wed 29-Jul-15 22:09:35

Could be a food allergy. When I was still denying my wheat allergy because I was "only" getting constant sores in my mouth, a celiac friend looked at me like I was a total idiot and,said "where do you think your digestive system starts??" No sores at all since I went wheat free...

3littlefrogs Wed 29-Jul-15 22:14:59

Dentists are much better at sorting out mouth issues than GPs IME.

Oraldene mouthwash is very good for bacterial and fungal infections.
Also consider vitamin B and or C deficiency.
Have you had antibiotics for the root canal problem? A sore mouth is a well known side effect of antibiotics.

Once the antibiotics are finished you need to get some probiotic drinks ot tablets.

FraterculaArctica Wed 29-Jul-15 22:21:53

No antibiotics for the root canal for ages. Ironically the GP did prescribe me erythromycin a couple of months ago in case the mouth was a bacterial infection, but I'm now wondering if that just made things worse...

The mouth sores have flared up at the same time as a horrendous IBS flare-up, so could be a food allergy, but I think it's unlikely - have done exclusion diets etc. in the past and they didn't really help the IBS at all. Then it went away and I was able to eat anything for a long time.

Will try and get dentist appointment tomorrow.

thehousewife Wed 29-Jul-15 22:27:52

Are you grinding your teeth at all?
When I do it, I'm in agony with a sore mouth/gums?? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now