Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diagnose DH please!

(7 Posts)
nikki1978 Wed 29-Jul-15 12:35:52

So DH came back from a work trip to America last Wednesday. While he was away about a week into the trip he said he wasn't feeling great and had a sore throat. When he got home 4 days later he said he felt awful and was exhausted. Didn't think much of it as he has been working very hard and not getting enough sleep and he often gets ill when he has been overdoing it for a long time.

Anyway 10 days after he first started feeling rubbish he is still not ok. Symptoms are as follows:-

Sore Throat (looks very red at the back)
Feeling of a lump in his throat (sensation of one rather than one he can touch)
Discomfort in upper chest area
Says he feels hot but he has no fever
Very tired (sleeping for 12 hours a night if I let him and could drop off at any point in the day)
Loss of appetite (only wants to eat simple things like plain toast and is hardly eating at all) - obviously this means he has lost over half a stone
Feeling like he can't be bothered to do anything - DH is not a lazy person and tends to work through illness etc so this is odd for him
Loss of libido (a big one as he is very sexual and we always have sex every other day)
Pulling sensation under left ribs (this comes and goes)

GP said on Monday that it is probably a virus and to come back Friday if not getting better. DH who rarely goes to the GP and isn't a worrier at all says he feels concerned that something is not right with him.

He is at work today. To look at he seems ok. But he says he is not.

Any ideas?

nikki1978 Wed 29-Jul-15 12:39:26

Oh I forgot to mention. He has had 2 operations in the last 6 months. One at the start of the year which was to remove a pilonidal sinus. Was infected and it took him a good month to get over as it was an open wound and he was quite ill when he went in.

Then last month he had 2 sections of his scrotum removed (just the skin) as he had lots of sebaceous cysts. Again this was quite painful and took him longer than expected to get over and he was very lethargic with it. But by the time he went away he had been ok for 2 weeks.

FungusTheBogeymam Wed 29-Jul-15 12:39:42

Some of those symptoms could be down to vitamin D deficiency - the pain under the ribs, tiredness, loss of libido. Fatigue is a common symptom of a lot of things, too, including underactive thyroid and diabetes.

Get him back to the GP on Friday and get him to ask for some blood tests.

PurpleWithRed Wed 29-Jul-15 12:41:57

What Fungus said - get him back to the doctor on Friday

BlueStringPudding Wed 29-Jul-15 12:44:50

could be Glandular Fever, again a blood test would be the way to check..

Holden10 Wed 29-Jul-15 19:49:33

I was going to say glandular fever too, blood tests I think.

thoroughlymodernmillie Wed 29-Jul-15 22:00:04

Could be West Nile virus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now