Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pleurisy, arthritis, aftermath

(9 Posts)
iamEarthymama Wed 29-Jul-15 11:58:46

Since February 2015 I have had pleurisy 3 times.
I have lost a stone and half, which is good as that extra weight was affecting my joints.
I have rubbish respitory system, despite never having smoked once in my life. I have regular bouts of sinusitis and have hay fever too.
I was brought up by heavy smokers.
I have had 2 X-Rays, the last of which confirmed that my chest is clear. I saw the doctor for a check up this week. No signs of infection in the lungs, good oxygen levels
My concern is the constant pain in my bank, the very place the pleurisy presented. I have osteoarthritis and seem to be have a flare since my return from a holiday in the sun.
Could this recurring pain be arthritis? I feel like a hypochondriac, (family reading this are rolling on floor as I am def one!!)
I get really scared every time it returns, I am also having flu like symptoms which I know is the arthritis.
I wonder if anyone else has had the same after effects?

lucretiab Wed 29-Jul-15 12:04:27

This is so bizarre. .I have nothing but sympathy, but I just posted a similar thing. Maybe someone can help one of us!

Good luck.

iamEarthymama Wed 29-Jul-15 12:06:51

Well I never!!

Cocolepew Wed 29-Jul-15 12:11:37

I get pleurisy a 2 or 3 times every year, I dont have arthritis but do have Lupus.
My xrays etc are always clear, it is inflammation causing it rather than a virus/bacteria.
I get the pain in my back pretty often, is it at the back of your lungs/ribs area?

iamEarthymama Wed 29-Jul-15 12:39:07

Yes Coco it is.
I had pleurisy and pneumonia 20 years ago. I always had the pain of I was very ill, but this is constant
I guess it isn't a sign that there is an underlying problem which I guess you can imagine I was worrying about!!

iamEarthymama Wed 29-Jul-15 12:50:40

Ok bad thanks to you and Lucretiavthough I am sorry you have this too xx

Cocolepew Wed 29-Jul-15 15:40:43

Have you been tested for Lupus ? The flare after bringing the sun is a telling sign of lupus . I almost constantly have problems with my lungs/respiratory as well as my sinuses.

You might need steriods if you still have the pain.

iamEarthymama Thu 30-Jul-15 18:07:08

Coco, I have a reputation in the family for being a hypochondriac!!
But I will look, something's not quite right
I am having operation on my hand tomorrow and after that will investigate
Thank you x

Cocolepew Thu 30-Jul-15 19:07:10

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now