Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heavy periods and trans tablets

(22 Posts)
SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 28-Jul-15 22:18:09

Have seen that you can take trans-something tablets which help, which you can get from Boots, but can't find the 'carefully' filed note I thought I had. Anyone give me the name please? TIA

Muchtoomuchtodo Tue 28-Jul-15 22:19:42

Transexamic acid I think.

cuntycowfacemonkey Tue 28-Jul-15 22:20:21

Tranexamic Acid

balletgirlmum Tue 28-Jul-15 22:20:41

Dd takes mefanamic acid on prescription. The Dr said tranexamic is an option if that doesn't work but has worse potential side effects.

uggmum Tue 28-Jul-15 22:22:17

I have them. They need to be prescribed by a doctor. I have them on repeat now.

My dose is 1 tablet, 3 times a day for the first 3 days of bleeding. They work well for me but my periods have become a bit irregular. This could be age related though.

Nannylookingforafamily Tue 28-Jul-15 22:25:45

Ibuprofen also suppose to help

Not medically trained

Best to talk to your gp!

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 28-Jul-15 22:35:12

Ooh, went to make a cup of tea and came back to lots of replies! Thanks all. Do I just take Ibuprofen as normal Nanny? Seems like the easiest option before seeing GP. Do you know what the side-effects are ballet? Disclaimer, not going to sue anyone on the basis of this thread, just fed up of very heavy periods!

balletgirlmum Tue 28-Jul-15 22:51:32

Think it was potential stomach problems, constipation just generally feeling a bit yuk (they are an anti inflammatory so there are always stomach risks with those). He didn't go into detail.
DD was flooding in less than 90 mins, period lasted almost 2 weeks & she kept fainting. Not good for a 13 year old dancer. Mefanamic seems to have done the trick as long as she takes them as soon as the first signs start.

NeuNewNouveau Tue 28-Jul-15 22:54:44

Meganamic alone helped me a little bit but combined with tranexamic acid has changed my periods dramatically. Definitely worth a try.

Tranexamic acid is a blood clotti g drug which is why they need to assess you carefully before dishing it out. (It is also held on ambulances to stop people bleeding to death)

NeuNewNouveau Tue 28-Jul-15 22:55:56

Mefanamic acid is the non steroid anti inflammatory (NSAID) not tranexamic acid. Usual side effects as you may get with ibuprofen etc, make sure you take with food rather than on an empty stomach.

Wilberforce2 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:59:07

I was prescribed Mefanamic Acid to help with the pain and Tranexamic Acid to help with the heavy bleeding. I had to take one of each three times a day and the Tranexamic Acid did work, I went down to having a 5/6 day period instead of a 10/11 day one.

Have only heard of them being available on prescription though and not over the counter.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 28-Jul-15 23:03:41

Thanks everyone, feel much better informed now smile

ladybird69 Tue 28-Jul-15 23:06:28

Yes Tranexamic acid (available over the counter) and mefenamic acid (GP only) did wonders for me. I suffered for decades and was begging for a hysterectomy before these two worked wonders.

kingrat Tue 28-Jul-15 23:09:58

I am prescribed mefanamic acid and tranexamic acid tablets for my heavy periods - was prescribed 1xmefanamic acid plus 2xtranexamic acid, both three times daily. Did not realise that was a higher dose than usual. I was having periods lasting 20+ days with huge clots and flooding though. Have had no problems with any side effects.

GinBunny Tue 28-Jul-15 23:12:07

I got the one from Boots these
about 4 months ago and it's been like a miracle for me. Before I used to flood terribly, wearing night time towels during the day and still leaking into my clothes, just awful. The cramps are still bad but I don't get the light-headed dizzy feeling I used to get because I'm no longer anaemic due to blood loss. I take Ibuprofen and Paracetemol together but they are more bearable now I'm not flooding. Good luck SpongeBob, I do sympathise thanks

cuntycowfacemonkey Tue 28-Jul-15 23:14:52

Kingrat I am also on 2 x tranexamic acid tablets 3 times a day and didn't realise this was a higher dose. Might ask GP when I go back.

ArabellaRockerfella Wed 29-Jul-15 00:09:43

I tried Tranexamic acid for 6 months (prescribed) for heavy periods. It didn't work for me and the flooding and anaemia got unmanageable in my job, so I opted for an endometrial ablation. This is only an option if you don't plan to have any more children.

NeuNewNouveau Wed 29-Jul-15 14:42:59

I also have 2x tranexamic and 1 mefanamic 3 times a day. i think that is the normal dose, perhaps uggmum is on a low dose?

Trufflethewuffle Wed 29-Jul-15 15:31:23

Before I had my hysterectomy I was on 3 tablets three or four times a day and still having problems! Realised it could not go on but I couldn't get out of the house without them.

Tighnamara Wed 29-Jul-15 22:02:38

These tablets did nothing for me, but Mirena coil worked very well and periods stopped altogether. Gave me back a normal life!

EnormousDormouse Wed 29-Jul-15 22:12:45

I tried tranexamic, didn't do much for me. I've been on the minipill for about six months now instead, no periods at all. Wish I'd gone on it years ago.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 30-Jul-15 21:40:43

Thanks all, and for the link Gin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now