Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

deep small cut on finger - need stitches?

(7 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Tue 28-Jul-15 10:06:43

I wash trying to fix dishwasher (dirty, not cleaned the dishes yet) - the seal has come off.

Sliced my finger, slipped with pressure down. It's a small cut but it's deep. I think I felt it hit bone, but not sure if it actually went that deep (possibly). It's by the first knuckle (?) near the finger tip of fore finger. Surprisingly didm't bleed much at first (at all really but been holding it up high) but the blood there is very dark. Finger hurts but I can feel the tip of the finger.

It's a clean slice, not jagged. Do I need to go to Minor Injuries Unit to get it looked at?

PavlovtheCat Tue 28-Jul-15 10:11:30

Bloody typical though, I have a huge amount of dishes to do, cleaning the kitchen, and doing a full clean-up of the house. Can just about make a coffee as I currently have a big bandage thing on it!

PavlovtheCat Tue 28-Jul-15 10:20:42

bump...

MrsLeighHalfpenny Tue 28-Jul-15 10:22:27

I wouldn't think so. I would put a plaster on it and see how it is tomorrow. Keep it dry, and elevated as much as possible.

BlueKarou Tue 28-Jul-15 10:34:08

Hard to say without seeing it. If it's a small, clean wound and isn't gushing claret then you're probably best off bandaging, applying a little pressure to keep the wound closed, and letting it sort itself out. The end should clot quick enough (if you're not on warfarin or any other blood thinners) and it should get on with healing.

If there was a lot of bloodloss, but no dizziness, I would add to keep the wound elevated, above your heart.

As long as the tip of your finger stays pink, and isn't all pins and needlesy then you should survive!

PavlovtheCat Tue 28-Jul-15 10:38:22

Thank you! I've taken the brave step of taking a proper look at it, and giving it a clean. I was a bit too freaked to do it at first! It is quite deep but it's not heavily bleeding at the moment, only when pressed. Bloody hurt to run water over it!!

I'll stop panicking. I think I am mostly panicking because DH has just gone abroad, Ive got millions to do and normally he would say 'thats fine' or 'go get it checked'. I have no time to haul two toddlers to MIU so I won't grin

Creatureofthenight Tue 28-Jul-15 10:43:42

Have you got any steri-strips, that's what they used at walk-in centre when we went for similar injury?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now