Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any one removed a skin tag successfully?

(34 Posts)
purplepandas Mon 27-Jul-15 22:51:16

I have one that is catching my necklace and really bugging me. I am keen to remove it and wondered if anyone else had managed to remove one successfully. If so, how? Contemplating the dental floss method. Thanks.

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 22:52:41

I cut mine off with nail clippers. Stings a bit but job done.

purplepandas Mon 27-Jul-15 22:55:46

Thanks Mrsmorton. I did think about that but am such a baby. Did the cutting hurt as I thought the skin had no nerve endings on the actual tag? I read this but was unconvinced. A direct approach is better really!

cosytoaster Mon 27-Jul-15 22:57:37

Had mine frozen off by the doctor - totally painless!

Longdistance Mon 27-Jul-15 22:58:46

I used my own hair strand. Although got Dh to tie it, and it fell off. It was on my neck too. The hair seems to cut off the blood supply and it drops off clean. Try cotton thread too.

Not sure about cutting them off, as that may bleed and cause an infection.

TTTatty Mon 27-Jul-15 23:01:53

Cotton thread here. Tied tight after ice cube to numb area and skin tag went black and dropped off, worked no probs, had had it a while too - wish I had done it ages ago!

purplepandas Mon 27-Jul-15 23:03:24

Thanks cozy and long. I assumed that the NHS would not do anything as cosmetic. I could ask. May try the cotton then. It is the same principle as dental floss. I am not sure that I am brave enough to snip outright. A total baby!

purplepandas Mon 27-Jul-15 23:04:26

Ttatty, how long did it take to drop off?

purplepandas Mon 27-Jul-15 23:05:03

Sorry TTTatty

TheRealMaryMillington Mon 27-Jul-15 23:05:52

done a couple with a bit of thread. bit fiddly but instant results. Were only teeny tiny though.

Spydra Mon 27-Jul-15 23:07:55

I cut one with scissors. bled for hours but scabbed eventually and healed flat.

TTTatty Mon 27-Jul-15 23:08:04

Think it was a couple of weeks, but I cut the thread close to it so that didn't really notice. Had had it for a few years, was amazed it was all done in two weeks :-)
At first you could see where it had been but can't now (few months)

RoosterCogburn Mon 27-Jul-15 23:09:29

Snipped mine with nail scissors.
I had to do it myself cos DH refused. It stung for a nano second and then it was fine.

GallopingFoxley Mon 27-Jul-15 23:12:49

Oh you need the advice of the 'amateur arse doctor '

Do Advance search her ...

Coconutty Mon 27-Jul-15 23:14:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

purplepandas Tue 28-Jul-15 08:46:03

Thank you all. Going to brave it today.

bonzo77 Tue 28-Jul-15 08:48:44

Yep. Had 3 or 4 small ones in my arm pit. Snipped with nail clippers.

Sparklingbrook Tue 28-Jul-15 08:49:16

One with dental floss. it's quite fiddly trying to tie the knot yourself. it was on my thigh, and I forgot all about it. It's gone though.

TheNumberfaker Tue 28-Jul-15 08:53:19

I've removed two on DH's back with cotton thread. He moaned at the time but is really pleased now. No marks and he doesn't catch them on clothing anymore.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 28-Jul-15 08:54:52

Oh god, I've got loads of skin tags, always have had, but they're breeding i think. And I don't want them.

Maybe I'll be brave enough to attack? I have scissors, scalpel, floss and hair. No ice though, perhaps I'll make some in anticipation...

Letmegetanamechange Tue 28-Jul-15 18:37:42

I removed one using bazuka once. I would NOT recommend as I accidentally got some on the skin around the skin tag and it burnt. And left a red mark. The mark has gone now thankfully! I was too much of a wimp to snip it off with nail scissors, probably would have been less painful confused

purplepandas Tue 28-Jul-15 20:49:58

Thanks again for the tips (also what not to do!) I have gone with the cotton option so we will see. Fingers crossed!

OhMyActualDays Tue 28-Jul-15 21:25:46

Dental floss and duct tape! Mine was massive, took about two weeks to drop off!

EllaBella220 Thu 30-Jul-15 11:35:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Monica101 Thu 30-Jul-15 11:47:13

Lemon essential oil works too. Dab it on twice a day for about a month. It does make surrounding skin a bit red though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now