Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

still in pain after root canal..aibu to have the damn thing out!? :(

(31 Posts)
Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 21:43:20

I have been in pain since April.
Went to dentist...3 fillings done in a 4 week period. All large old fillings, alleft side and the teeth themselves were cracked.
After the 3rd...(upper left molar) I was still in pain some weeks later...hot and cold sensitive and hurt to bite.
He took x rays...no infection.
He Gave me Steroids for inflAmMation and made me a nightsplint.
STill in pain 2 weeks later so go back.
He does A root canal.
By this point I have spent £800 sad
It was ok for a while - or at least not as bad.
It's now as bad again! How can I be hot and cold Sensitive again if I have no nerves!?
I cAnnot Afford more costly treAtment...can I ask to have it out at no charge and will.it look awful?....It's a first molar sad
Am really fed up sad

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 21:46:22

Is the root canal treatment finished? Do you know how many canals he found? Did the treatment progress well with no issues like blocked canals etc?

YWNBU to have it extracted but you might miss it one day?

Can you describe the symptoms? Just cold? How long for? On biting? Spontaneous etc?

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 21:47:35

It won't look awful. I have dentist friends who couldn't be bothered to go through RCT and had extractions. You can't see the gap during normal function.

hhhhhhh Mon 27-Jul-15 21:49:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 21:51:13

I had 4 cAnals which is not normAl apparently
It throbs, and when I bite down its hurts and it's very sensitive to hot and cold again sad worse with hot things.
How can it be hurting with no nerve?
I have had other rc with no issues at all sad
I simply cant afford more costly treAtment and Tbh am fed up
I had dry socket some years ago which worried me too

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 21:53:05

To be fair to dentist I think he has done all he can
But I wouldn't like to hAve to pay for the extraction on top of everything else but wondered if iabu?

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 21:54:41

4 canals is quite normal. Some teeth have six or so! I think about 60% of first molars have 4.

The symptoms sound like there may be some nerve left behind (hot/cold) plus some inflammation around the tips of the roots (pain on biting). These are variable though and can (for example) be caused by a filling that is too high. Or occasionally by a fractured tooth. These are notoriously difficult to diagnose as the fractures can be all but invisible even when you're looking through magnification.

How long since the treatment was finished?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 27-Jul-15 21:56:13

I had RC done at a cost of £300. When I went back three weeks later to have it checked the dentist said it had not worked, the tooth was completely cracked and would have to be extracted there and then. At a cost of another £300.

Where else other than the dentist do you have to pay so extortionately for such pain. I bloody hate dentists.

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 21:56:31

You could try to negotiate a discount on the extraction. I'd be quite amenable to that (but I don't work in private practice) after all the time and money you have spent.

Any idea how much he's charging for an extraction?

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 21:57:28

Well done amothers highly original post there. Amazing that most people suspend their manners when talking about dentists.

ajandjjmum Mon 27-Jul-15 21:59:27

The latest root canal I had was pretty painful for 2/3 weeks afterwards, but it did settle down eventually.

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 21:59:27

I hardly dare think how much it is!
It's been about 5 weeks since the work was done.
It's been hurting on and off for about 3 but I was on holidAy and trying to ignore it sad
If I have had dry socket before will I get it again?

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 22:00:11

My dentist is very nice....just expensive smile

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 22:02:28

Not necessarily. The risk factors for dry socket are smokers, difficult extractions in the lower arch, oral contraceptive pill and pre existing infection. Do you tick many of these?

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 22:08:09

No I don't think so.
X rays always been ok and its an upper tooth this time...

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 22:08:38

Am on hrt though...

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 22:10:40

Non smoker

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 22:11:21

Can't see him til Friday sad
Just about to take some co codamol

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 22:13:32

Hmmm, I've not read anything about HRT and dry socket but I think it's oestrogen in the OCP that affects the socket so I suppose it could be a contributor.

When I see patients who've had previous dry socket, I put artificial clotting substrate in the socket to improve things and assist the clot formation. It's really expensive stuff though!! Not that the expense should change your care, it's just an observation smile and maybe explains why we don't use it all the time.

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 22:20:36

Thanks for the advice.
I wish I'd just had the bloody thing out weeks ago!
How long does a normal extraction take?
tempted to get the pliers

Mrsmorton Mon 27-Jul-15 22:25:16

About 30 min start to finish including anaesthetic, paperwork and post op observations and instructions. Actual forcep on tooth time? 5min unless it's nails!!

Baddz Mon 27-Jul-15 22:31:15

Sounds good!
I was worried I would look like a toothless old hag but you have put my mind at ease...thanks x

Cupcaketin Mon 27-Jul-15 22:35:46

I had a failed root canal and extraction, my dentist very kindly refunded me the cost of the RC minus the extraction fee, but he knows I am a student and poor at the moment, but that I value paying for a good dentist ! I was glad I had it taken out, it was so painful, I did get used to eating with the gap where the tooth was quite quickly.

crispandfruity Tue 28-Jul-15 14:29:43

In my experience I wouldn't go through root canal on a back tooth, I'd have an extraction. I know it's not ideal and that dentists want to preserve teeth, but it saves faffing and money.

And tbh, nowadays dentists are so skilled at extractions that they're a walk in the park compared to a root canal!!

Baddz Tue 28-Jul-15 14:32:12

It's a first molar sadly so I am worried it will look bad but tbh I a, past caring now...I can't afford any more treatment. Not even sure there is any other option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now