Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dad having biopsy - suspected cancerous growth on outer ear. Any experiences?

(8 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Mon 27-Jul-15 12:14:07

He's worked outside all his life and burns easily. I'm worried - I didn't even know ear cancer was a thing. Apparently whatever it is has been there a few weeks.

Any help really appreciated.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 27-Jul-15 13:51:01

Oh man he's just told me it's actually been there a year. Itchy and scaly, turns into a spot when scratched and comes back bigger every time. Doesn't sound good does it? Really hope the results come back saying it's a giant blackhead smile confused

MaryBerrysEyelashes Mon 27-Jul-15 14:01:09

oh god my dad has had about 10 of these

Rodent ulcers. VERY common in men of a certain age, spec those who did army service abroad.

really dont worry - they lop them off and keep and eye on them

Twodogsandahooch Mon 27-Jul-15 14:05:16

Skin cancers are very common and the majority are easily treated with either surgery or radiotherapy. The fact that it has been there a year is in a way a good sign - it means that it is not likely to be terribly aggressive. Try not to worry too much.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 27-Jul-15 14:08:39

Really? Thanks so much. Will stop worrying until the results come in thanks

CMOTDibbler Mon 27-Jul-15 14:08:50

It sounds like a Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC). Though they are a type of cancer, and if left alone will do damage, they don't spread to other parts of the body and can be treated very easily with radiotherapy or surgery.

MatildaTheCat Mon 27-Jul-15 14:25:24

My dad has had several basal cell carcinomas removed, the largest on his scalp. He also worked outside all his life. The good news is that he is seen a couple of times every year and given a full body check and any suspicious moles etc removed. It's a great service. ( we are a very moley family).

Hope all is well, try not to worry too much.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 07-Aug-15 00:19:49

It's not cancerous! Thanks so much for your reassurance, it really helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now