Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Normal adult body temperature

(5 Posts)
Kayden Sat 25-Jul-15 18:38:25

What actually is a normal body temperature for an adult?

I've been getting different answers from different medical professionals. Basically, I've been ill with persistent low grade temperatures for some weeks. Over the last few days, I have settled between 37.5 and 37.8 degrees celcius which is vaguely in the normal range now, I think...?

Thanks in advance.

YeOldeTrout Sat 25-Jul-15 18:54:46

Over 39 is considered very high (malaria temp).
They hesitated to admit me to hospital when I was 40.9.
So 37.something sounds ok to me.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sat 25-Jul-15 19:03:48

Normal adult body temperature is a range, it varies with the time of day, from person to person and with age. It also depends where you take it (armpit will be lower than mouth for example).

Above 37.2 (mouth) is usually considered to be a fever. But 37.8 is only a very very slight fever.

I wouldn't take anything for it until it goes over 39. And I wouldn't go to the doctor unless it was over 40. It's part of your body's natural healing process.

Once you're well again, take your temperature at different times of day over a few days and average it to know what's normal for you.

lougle Sat 25-Jul-15 19:33:30

37.5c is above normal. 38c is a fever. 39.4 upwards should be brought to the attention of a doctor.

Kayden Sat 25-Jul-15 20:11:34

Thank you, all.

I was having temperatures between 38.5 and 39.5 but after 2 courses of antibiotics, it has settled and I am feeling much better. It was a bit worrying because I am immunosuppressed.

The GP on Friday just commented that 37.5 was a 'slight temperature' so I was curious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now