Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dry eye syndrome. It's driving me potty!

(10 Posts)
Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 25-Jul-15 10:15:52

The optician picked this up, eyes misting over, excessive blinking, but not itchy or red. Doctor said yep-viscotears or whatever relieves it. Viscotears just seem to make them dryer, used hydromellose drops, dry eye drops, gel drops and they are still really dry.
Anyone got any advice for an old gimmer who is suffering?

hairypaws Sat 25-Jul-15 10:37:06

Me too. Had it for ages. Don't think it will get better, I've resigned myself to using eye drops/sprays forever. Mine go through phases of being very sore and itchy.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 25-Jul-15 11:02:52

Are the sprays any good? They are just so expensive. And do any drops work better?

shelldockley Wed 29-Jul-15 16:08:50

My optician told me I had dry eyes and advised to use a hot flannel morning and night to 'melt' the fatty deposits to let the mucas through to clean the eyes or something like that
From the NHS here

I bought this eyebag which makes it much easier to do, you really do have to keep it up though unfortunately. It will take a good 2 weeks of morning and night to make a difference, but then the difference is ten times that you'd get from eye drops etc.

hairypaws Wed 29-Jul-15 19:03:25

The spray isn't really worth the money IMO. It's refreshing for about a second then nothing.

I've just bought an eye doctor on Amazon - £12.50. Hopefully it helps, thanks for recommendation.

ShuShuFontana Wed 29-Jul-15 19:59:20

there's lots of different eye drops, some are gloopier and best left for bed time, but it's all abut prevention with dry eyes. Find some drops that suit and use them, and don't stop because it feels better

Also, some drops have preservatives in, so you could be allergic to those, try and go for something preservative free.

Liveinthepresent Wed 29-Jul-15 20:15:48

I have not had this but my DM did and she was told to try flaxseed supplements. Apparently it completely sorted it ! Worth a try?

VagelinaJolie Thu 30-Jul-15 04:02:23

I've started with the hot compresses-extension of hot cloth cleansing, so will see if it helps.

meringue33 Thu 30-Jul-15 08:43:30

My mum swears by blephagel

gingerbreadmam Thu 30-Jul-15 08:56:49

i got some drops from the pharmacist for about £3 like artificial tears cant remember for the life of me what they were called though. someone at work swears by rubbing baby shampoo on a cotton but along your lash line. never dared try it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now