Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had long term earache diagnosed as neuralgia

(3 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Fri 24-Jul-15 10:09:50

Seen a consultant who has come to the conclusion that the cause is neuralgia. He is writing to GP suggesting medication. He has also arranged for a MRI in a few weeks time. The pain is every day but comes and goes. It's an ache which is also burning. It can go for a couple of hours and then return. Always there in the mornings, evenings and if I wake up at night. Feeling fed up as I don't fancy this for the rest of my life. Grateful for any help!

CharleyDavidson Mon 27-Jul-15 22:16:12

Hi Happy. I have trigeminal neuralgia and I get pain in my ear frequently. It's awful and you have my sympathies. Glossopharyngeal neuralgia is one form that gives pain mostly in the throat and ear.

I have had an MRI which pinpointed the likely cause for my TN. I have a sympathetic GP who referred me to a neurologist who ordered the MRI and gave me a second opinion on the medication.

I was first put on carbamazepine, but I couldn't handle the side effects so was switched to gabapentine. I still have side effects, but ones I can cope with. It leaves me with some (manageable) ear and face pain, but nothing like the attacks I used to have.

I totally get the whole 'rest of my life' thing. I hate that. I would love to be pain and medication free but mostly I'm glad that I know what the problem is and that there is something I can take that makes my life bearable.

There is a neualgia/nerve pain general thread in General health where lots of people have checked in.

HappydaysArehere Mon 03-Aug-15 08:52:48

Thank you Charley. I have just seen your posting so I am sorry I have not thanked you before. I have an appointment to see GP and one of the suggestions on the consultants letter is gabapentine or amatrypline. I didn't realise there was a thread on the subject. You have been really helpful. I am having the MRI on the 18th August to eliminate any other cause so will feel happier after that. I find a hot drink helps for a short time. Thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now