Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Alopecia

(10 Posts)
treadwater Wed 22-Jul-15 23:58:50

Stinging head and bald patches growing rapidly - so depressed, keep telling myself it's just hair but it's so scarey. a lot gone now, awaiting bi-opsy results, I don't think it will ever grow back - anyone had this? How do you cope? If it comes to it - any wig advice?

Roseforarose Thu 23-Jul-15 05:27:47

Oh poor you. I know its easier said than done but try not to worry too much. My sister had this, she lost a lot of hair but within a year it had all grown back. Have you been under any stress, because thats what had caused hers.
She got herself a lovely wig which you really couldnt tell was a wig. Look forward to the day when you notice its started to grow back. This happened about 5 years ago to my sister and thankfully shes had no more episodes. I'm sure it'll be the same for you. flowers

paxtecum Thu 23-Jul-15 06:28:57

It's generally because of stress.

Stop drinking alcohol, eat as healthily as possible, cut out crappy chocolate bars, don't eat anything with artificial sweeteners in.
Lie on the bed with your head hanging over the side and massage your head.

Get some very good quality muti vits and minerals..

Google natural therapies for alopecia.

It will grow back, please try not to stress.

When I had mine my dermatologist referred me to Treloggan Wigs in Portsmouth, I think I had to make an appointment with them. The lady there was the most kind and helpful person and I was so grateful. Mine did grow back within a year, having lost about a third of it and I got away without the wig but I've still got it just in case. I am certain work related stress was the cause of mine.

paxtecum Thu 23-Jul-15 10:41:03

www.organicfacts.net/home-remedies/alopecia-areata.html

Have a read of this website.

I hope it helps you.

treadwater Thu 23-Jul-15 23:58:44

Wow - so wonderful to hear grow-back stories! I'm fine in the day, really positive and choosing pretty scarves to cover patches and then in the evening I'm in bits. I've never known myself to feel like this - sort of deep gloom that I can't snap out of until the morning. Your kind words and optimism are so much appreciated.
WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes - Did your scalp sting at all? Not very painful but definitely stinging?
Am going start Yoga to deal with the dark moods and stress and will def check out the organics site. Thanks v much.

Yes, an annoying tingling feeling. I still get the feeling occasionally where the first patch started and it makes me panic but so far it hasn't started up again (6 years on).

worldgonecrazy Fri 24-Jul-15 09:36:17

A lot of people have this and don't talk about it. I know how utterly devastating it is and spent many hours crying in the bathroom. Mine also eventually grew back. I bought some of those coloured sprays and nanofibres also hid the worst of it. It's amazing how those can cover up quite a big patch if you have enough hair to brush over the top.

I also had a wig which I kept so I knew if it got worse I had a back up. The wig shops were ever so kind and helpful - they deal mostly with patients with cancer or alopaecia so will have an understanding of your fears.

There are a tonne of herbal remedies out there, but very little scientific evidence that any of them work. However, they can make you feel like you are at least doing something, so perhaps they have a use.

treadwater Fri 24-Jul-15 20:35:33

Thanks ladies
I have some scalp camouflage - like facepaint, just noticed my first front patch beginning - I keep reminding myself to count my blessings but it's hard and scarey. I really really appreciate you bothering to respond - thanks so much. x

gingerbreadmam Fri 24-Jul-15 20:42:19

hi tread. firstly so sorry this is happening to you it is very frightening.

my friend had alopecia just started out of nowhere. she had two patches that just grew and grew.

she saw her gp and was referred to local hospital for test etc. this is quite important as if you do need a wig, there are other options too, the nhs can provide qood quality ones at a highly discounted price.

her hair has now grown back after about 4 years. she did try a treatment through nhs where they inject and stimulate your hair follicles. that helped slightly but i think it just came back because it did.
hope that helps a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now