Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this kind of tiredness sound familiar to anyone?

(7 Posts)
magicpuppy Wed 22-Jul-15 20:00:45

I have an doctors appointment but it is nearly 3 weeks away.

I've never been the most energetic person but the tiredness has gotten to such an awful level that I think there must be something medical wrong with me. I don't think I am depressed. I had PND several years ago but recovered and have felt mentally well since then.

I am a SAHM to young but school going children. My life isn't too hectic or particularly stressful yet I get so unbelievably tired that I feel ready to collapse.

I don't have any other symptoms. In fact I am quite healthy, rarely ever get ill. I haven't had so much as a cold in ages. I am overweight but the same amount as I have been for 10+ years.

It's a very physical tiredness. Sleep doesn't seem to make much difference. I can (and sometimes do ) sleep 10 hours at night but equally feel the same after 5-6 hours sleep.

Today for example I got up around 8. School holidays have started so I pottered around the house. I did some light house work, had lunch then the dc and I went to visit friends. Had a lovely afternoon.

Stopped off for dinner as a treat on the way home and then I did about 45 minutes gardening, just some weeding and clipping some overgrown bushes but I had to stop as I felt weak and a bit giddy.

Does it sound like the tiredness you have with thyroid problems or maybe some deficiency?

I don't feel as I can carry on almost 3 more weeks like this.

Thanks

treadwater Wed 22-Jul-15 23:54:55

Sounds like a busy day to me - I'd be tired. Are you eating regularly? Stress can make you tired so if you're worrying about it that won't help. Doesn't your GP have a daily walk-in and wait? Go as an emergency patient and tell GP that is so bad you daren't drive and can't look after kids over holidays with so little energy and get some bloods done. It may well be stress and once the tests come back ok the tiredness will disappear too. A cat nap of 20 mins can work wonders - don't feel guilty - grab a nap when you can.

tobee Thu 23-Jul-15 13:46:24

Makes me immediately think of anaemia when you mention the dizziness and giddiness. I have suffered from both hypothyroidism and anaemia which can cause extraordinary tiredness. You definitely should see gp asap and get blood tests done as well as talking over your symptoms. If something does come up then you will get treated all the sooner! Good luck. Those are horrible symptoms to suffer from.

Nannylookingforafamily Thu 23-Jul-15 21:45:01

Under active thyroid can cause extreme tiredness... But can do lots of things.

You definitely need some blood tests

griselda101 Thu 23-Jul-15 21:48:56

maybe a vitamin D deficiency which is very common, I felt soooo much better when mine had been addressed (was very low due to BF). Could not believe the different. Apparently most people deficient but if you are seriously deficient it can have a real effect on how you feel, I was always whacked out. Get that checked if you can.

griselda101 Thu 23-Jul-15 21:49:14

different = difference!

mugglingalong Thu 23-Jul-15 21:54:59

Could you ring the surgery and ask dr to order some blood tests before you see them as then they can rule in/out some of the most obvious causes. Before my low thyroid was dx it felt as if I was wadding through treacle in a thick fog. Surely if you are really unwell then they will see you sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now