Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

contact lens wearers has this happened to you?

(13 Posts)
RattleAndRoll Tue 21-Jul-15 17:09:45

I've worn contacts for 10 years.

For the last week or so, in the evening after I've removed them, my eyes instantly feel like there's something in them (fine throughout day though, it's the instant I blink after removing them it starts). They itch, they hurt, they water. I can't stop rubbing them. It really feels like there's something in them or I've scratched my eye. It's horrible. If I close my eyes and don't blink its fine. So I've started keeping my lenses in til last thing and then going straight to bed. When I wake up my eyes are fine.

Any idea what's causing this?

My contacts are dailies so nothing wrong with the contacts as I use a new pair every day ands it's happened a few days now.

Thanks.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 21-Jul-15 17:19:41

Go to the optician immediately. I had a scratch on my eyeball which turned in to a corneal ulcer due to the GP not having a fucking clue and thinking it was conjunctivitis (despite 4 appointments over 9 days and being unable to open my eye by the last one). The hospital told me always to go to the optician straight away as they actually have the equipment to check properly (and the knowledge) and can refer you straight to the hospital.

Do not put your contact lenses in again until you've had this checked

Sorry if I appear to be a hysterical doommonger but I would not want anyone to go through the same thing

My ulcer has flared up a couple of times again over the years - usually excessive contact lense wear due to working really long hours and not enough sleep. I just go straight to the optician and get a same day referral to the hospital where I get steroids and it sorts it straight out

Hulababy Tue 21-Jul-15 17:25:38

I've had a small scratch before and also an ulcer a couple of times. With the ulcers my vision went entirely in the affected eye until treatment. Was hourly drops.
I was sent straight to the eye clinic a&e.

It's essential to get treatment ASAP.

TobleroneBoo Tue 21-Jul-15 17:31:18

Recently mine have been stinging and smarting when I take them out. I've put it down to slight hay fever as I convince myself they are protected when lenses are in

MarvinKMooney Tue 21-Jul-15 17:34:12

My sister had exactly the same symptoms as you, and she had corneal ulcers too.

Get thee to an eye clinic pronto! Good luck smile

quietbatperson Tue 21-Jul-15 17:53:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RattleAndRoll Tue 21-Jul-15 19:02:53

Oh dear! Really?!
I thought someone would just say it happens and is ok after a couple of days, hang in there.
Or don't wear your contacts for a couple of days/wear them less in general and that's it.
Hmmm... off to google! Thanks!

quietbatperson Tue 21-Jul-15 19:06:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RattleAndRoll Wed 22-Jul-15 21:48:58

Ok, don't flame me, but when I took my lenses out last night it didn't happen? So I haven't gone to get checked out. Haven't worn them today. I'm hoping that's it done?

MarvinKMooney Wed 22-Jul-15 22:24:19

Well that's a good sign I guess. Do still go to your opticians though. Perhaps your lenses are causing some kind of reaction. Years ago (before disposables) I developed an allergy to the preservatives in lens cleaning fluid. It's left my eyes very sensitive and even now I can only wear disposable lenses for an evening, not all day.

Please do go and get it checked. As my sister was told when she developed corneal ulcers, healthy sight is a precious thing. Don't ignore pain. flowers

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 22-Jul-15 22:25:26

It's up to you.

You could have a scratch which will heal up without some days without wearing your lenses

Or it might not and you'll get an ulcer which, if it goes untreated, could damage your vision.

Who knows. It's up to you to go to the optician or not.

chairmeoh Wed 22-Jul-15 22:27:27

There's dozens of opticians on every high street. Why wouldn't you get it checked out confused?

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 22-Jul-15 22:34:56

I've had a corneal ulcer it was horrific, please don't mess with your eyes. Just go and get them checked out. Also generally speaking I would never visit GP for anything related to my eyes, they just don't have the necessary equipment to look at what's going on. Many hospitals have a walk in eye casualty too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now