Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast MRI tomorrow - claustrophobic and dreading it

(11 Posts)
MadameLeBean Mon 20-Jul-15 22:35:55

Has anyone had one of these? I know that you are face down and there is a hole like a massage table but can you actually see outside ie the floor? And does your whole head go into the tunnel as well? Or just to shoulders? I have got diazepam to help me but I am doubting whether I can cope with being in there for 45mins sad

helzapoppin2 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:43:41

I had a number of those and found them less claustrophobic because your head is at the end of the machine as opposed to being enclosed in it. Good luck!

MadameLeBean Mon 20-Jul-15 22:49:05

Thank you. So is your head sticking out of the tube or just below the entrance ?

helensburgh Mon 20-Jul-15 22:53:32

Dont panic! ive a few, last one two weeks ago, of my gallbladder, so similar positioning!

I'm mildly claustrophobic and was ok, they put headphones on with music and I close my eyes.

You will be face up and head slightly in to the tunnel.

Concentrate on your breathing and think of nice things.

matrix11 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:03:55

I have MRI yearly, although mine is brain not breast, they have to lock my head into place, which was not great the first time as I suffer really bad with claustrophobic but I cope now as I take my own ear plugs and eye mask, which makes a hugh difference to me personally.
I also hum tunes to the noise and think nice things.
Good luckflowers

helzapoppin2 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:08:41

Head down, just inside entrance. You can see the floor, and outside, but because you have to keep still its head down so you can't look around. Honest, I'm a total wuss, but I found it the least claustrophobic position, plus they gave me a buzzer for if I needed it.

MadameLeBean Tue 21-Jul-15 06:06:11

Ok I think I'll be ok if I can see outside

Thank you all

MadameLeBean Tue 21-Jul-15 13:16:28

In waiting room .. Trying to stay calm. Think they are running late so not taken my diazepam yet .. Argh just want it over

MadameLeBean Tue 21-Jul-15 14:57:20

It was horrible but I made it all the way through .. Thank god

helzapoppin2 Tue 21-Jul-15 18:58:14

Well done!

MadameLeBean Tue 21-Jul-15 21:37:53

Thank you.. Fortunately DP was there to hold my hand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now