Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low ferritin - injection/infusions privately??

(7 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Mon 20-Jul-15 15:13:18

My ferritin levels are low, but "within the normal range". Consequently, my GP is unwilling/unable to do anything to help me. I am exhausted, and my hair is falling out. Of course, it may be to do with other factors, but I can't help feeling that if my iron levels were higher I'd have a better chance of at least being less exhausted.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go about finding out about getting iron injections/infusions privately? it may sound a bit drastic, but I'm desperate!

Thanks in advance

sanfairyanne Mon 20-Jul-15 16:26:58

silly question maybe but have you tried iron tablets/spatone/floradix first?

hiccupgirl Mon 20-Jul-15 16:48:30

Are you sure it's just due to your iron levels?

My levels were just above the cut off to be considered for a transfusion on my local NHS in September last year, and the symptons I had were breathlessness, exhaustion, muscle pains and pins and needles. The doctor I saw was very reluctant to consider a transfusion unless absolutely necessary as they can cause issues themselves. I didn't have any issues with hair loss etc. I've been taking a prescribed iron supplement for nearly 9 months now and my iron levels are just at the bottom of the normal range.

Oldisthenewblack Mon 20-Jul-15 18:06:46

Yes, I'm taking iron supplements and have been for two years now. My ferritin a couple of years ago was right at the bottom of the range, it was 11-307 and I was 11! It's up now to 30 but I'm still losing hair and everything I read on the net indicates that ferritin needs to be at least 70 for hair to thrive. The GP was adamant that iron injection/infusion was not a possibility so I feel a bit lost. I guess I'm simply curious to see if having the iron delivered in that way would make me feel better, rather than the slow process of attempting to get levels up via tablets. I take the Spatone too. I'm now taking 2 x 210mg tablets ferrous fumarate per day, with L-Lysine and Vit C, as they are supposed to assist with absorption.

Pleasemrstweedie Mon 20-Jul-15 18:17:44

I was in this position for tears ago with ferritin one point off the bottom of the range and unable to tolerate any oral iron. My endocrinologist sent me back to my GP for injections, GP said he couldn't do them and tried to refer me to haematology, but they wouldn't have me because my Hb was mid-range.

Eventually I cud get a referral, but the haematologist wouldn't have any of it. The Edno still said I needed an infusion and in the end suggested I should get ampoules in private prescription and get someone I trusted to inject me! I'm not sure how professional that advice was!

I looked into private GPs etc, but no-one would help because of he risks.

Cytoplan Wholefood Iron saved me in the end and I got my level up to 102, but it looks as if it's come down again and I have been tested today.

hiccupgirl Mon 20-Jul-15 20:27:06

Mine was down to 8 when I was really struggling with symptons and it's only around 11 at the mo. The one problem I have never had is hair loss and my hair is growing as well as ever. I've since been found to have an underlying health problem which is probably causing my iron levels to stay low despite the supplements I'm taking.

I'm not saying that I don't believe it's causing your problems but I'd just be wary about putting it all down to just your iron levels. And if your iron is persistently staying low then it would be worth pushing to find out why rather than go for a quick fix IYKWIM.

sksk Mon 20-Jul-15 20:30:19

Maybe ask the pharmacist for ferrouss gluconate-much much easier to tolerate and is available behind the counter. I took this in pregnancy and avoided needing huge amounts of iron later in pregnancy. (But clearly do not overdo the iron). Maybe you also need a general supplement. I assume GP has ruled out thyroid issues?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now