Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long for antibiotics to kick in?

(9 Posts)
nothernexposure Sun 19-Jul-15 18:50:43

Any mediical/nursing folk around? I've got what I think is an infected insect bite on my leg. It's red, swollen and pretty itchy.... Went to walk in yesterday who prescribed Flucloxacillin 500mg 4 times a day and been taking them since yesterday afternoon (5 doses so far). My leg seems to be getting worse not better tho! The red patch is bigger, it's more swollen and now getting uncomfortable because my skins too 'tight'. Am I being too impatient in expecting it to be improving yet or do I need to see someone about it before my leg falls off?? Thanks.

nothernexposure Sun 19-Jul-15 22:09:08

Anyone??

JustinsBeaver Sun 19-Jul-15 22:10:47

If it's still not better now then I would definitely get it seen again.

Hope it's feeling better soon.

nothernexposure Sun 19-Jul-15 23:11:14

Thanks, dh thinks its looking a bit better but I'm not convined. I'll head back to walk in/gp tomorrow if it still looks the same.

westcountrywoman Sun 19-Jul-15 23:16:52

My Dr friend has reassured me in the past that it's not unusual for symptoms to get briefly worse as the antibiotics kick in, before getting better. Something to do with the bugs breaking down as they're attacked by the antibiotics.
If still getting worse 36 hours or more after taking the first dose, it's probably worth at least talking to the Dr on the phone, as it could be you need to try a different antibiotic.

BackforGood Sun 19-Jul-15 23:18:17

I have to say the antibiotics prescribed to me on Wednesday started working after the first tablet. By the following day, I have to set an alarm to remember to take one as they've done such a good job.
Sorry - I'm not medically qualified - but on the odd occasions I've taken them for anything, they've always had a big impact within 24hours. I presume that's why they emphasise that you should finish the course, as they know people won't always do that if they feel better.

LKbabyH Sun 19-Jul-15 23:24:34

I get these types of nasty bites a few times a year recently.
Best bit of advice I got was to draw around the red patch in biro type pen, during next few days to gauge if it's still getting bigger or not whilst on antibiotics. Might still do for about a day but not by much. I used to draw a new mark the following day to see how big or small it was getting.
If it got bigger by lots of go back to the Gp and show them the rate of spread.

LKbabyH Sun 19-Jul-15 23:25:44

And forgot to ask, did the GP not get you to take piraton as well?

leoteddy Sun 19-Jul-15 23:26:14

Draw a line around it and if it is getting bigger or you aren't happy with it in any way get it seen asap. They can get quite nasty and sometimes other drugs are needed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now