Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A word of warning.....check your own blood results

(11 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Sun 19-Jul-15 06:17:49

I thought I would share my story in the hope that someone else may not have to go through what I have.

I have been feeling awful and had thyroid problems since pregnancy with ds1 3 Years ago. GPs dismissed as pregnancy discomfort without checking anything multiple times. I felt so awful I didn't go back until 3 months after my ds2 was suffering from very bad anxiety which I'd never had. Shouting and screaming at everyone around me, the tiniest things making me mad with rage. I had a severely overactive thyroid and got treatment. Anxiety went away other symptoms started and I could barely get out of bed, then diagnosed with a severely underactive thyroid!left it to right itself this time. It did but I still felt awful. This is where I was badly let down by the 4 gps, 1 endocrinologist and 1 rheumatologist I saw. I had classic symptoms of iron deficiency, but kept being told my iron was normal.

These were my symptoms:

* muscle pain (like the pain you get when you've reached the last rep of a set of chin ups /weight lots or whatever exercise, but I was getting it from walking 2 steps or lifting my arm above my head)
* joint pain (only on using joints)
* fatigue (sleeping 7pm till 7am but barely able to get out of bed)
* irritability (probably because I felt so shit but still had 2 kids and a house to look after full time & business to run)
* fast heartbeat & chest pain
* depression (who wouldn't be)
* dark circles under eyes
* white spots appearing in nails
* inability to concentrate
* useless memory
* inability to function at a higher level than just 'going through the motions'
* wanted to die because I was too tired to live properly

All these symptoms were pretty severe, if I was in my right mind, and being a cynic, I would have got my own test results a long time ago but as you can see, my mind was mush.

Something made me get them though, and I was just over the borderline for iron, b12, folate an vitamin d. Started taking a supplement and I can't believe the change. I am by no means all better yet (i haven't started on vit d yet either) but the difference is massive. As in, I feel like living now....

Sorry it's long, but please just double check your own test results if you feel like you're not getting anywhere!

MoreSnowPlease Sun 19-Jul-15 06:27:07

Oh and breathlessness was a big symptoms too!!

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 19-Jul-15 06:43:37

Wow I can tick all of these symptoms.

Have had normal bloods comeback again.

What are you taking, op?

Pleasemrstweedie Sun 19-Jul-15 10:20:37

Absolutely right. This is something I learnt to do some years ago and it probably saved my life.

I was very unwell, but was told that all my blood tests results were normal and in the end I was diagnosed with CFS and discharged by the hospital with no further support offered. my GP agreed with this diagnosis and offered ADs.

When I got copies of my test results, I actually had: severe vitamin D deficiency, low vitamin B12, folate deficiency and severe ferritin deficiency, as well as sub-clinical hypothyroidism.

Now all fixed and I am well. No thanks to the NHS. I did all he research etc myself.

Katymac Sun 19-Jul-15 10:24:26

Me too, B12, Zinc, Vit D & Folate

Goodness knows what else - but getting the tests can be hard in itself - my GP argued against B12 & Vit D for ages

I've been 'ill' with CFS & IBS for the best part of 20 years with a newer diagnosis of FM in the last 5 yrs or so - which is almost certainly Vit D deficiency

LashesandLipstick Sun 19-Jul-15 10:29:51

Yeah I learned this. Kept bring told my bloods were fine, going on for about 6 years, turned out I'm on the borderline for iron and low in B12. I was really annoyed when I found out

Pleasemrstweedie Sun 19-Jul-15 12:24:25

In fact they did it to me again last week.

Saw a different dictionaries who ordered blood tests. I rang up for the results and was told "normal - no action" . Two days later I hit a copy of the results and there's a flag on one of the results, with detailed instructions of next steps to be taken.

Do I book a telephone consultation with my usual GP. "Oh" he says "I see you had some tests done last week. Well, they were all normal."

Even then I had to point it out to him!

MoreSnowPlease Sun 19-Jul-15 20:40:35

wally I'm taking a vitamin tablet which has iron, b12 and folate I think. It's one that's marketed for 'tiredness and fatigue' I'll post a link. I doubt it's the best one but I didn't have time to research that just went to supermarket and bought some. Think I will try to get it all on prescription though soon.

I just can't believe how many people say this happened to them. It was utter hell and so simple to correct. How can this happen?!!

Also, the range considered normal is massive (15-200) for ferritin so surely different people have different 'normal' amounts for them, so I could have been at 150 and still been deficient? But never would have picked that up!

Why don't they treat the symptoms which were classic deficiency?!!

MoreSnowPlease Sun 19-Jul-15 20:46:36

pleasemrs that's terrible, what worries me most is that when you are ill you are not able to actually fight your corner or think to check bloods.

Actually, I had a great one when I phoned doc and told her all about this being missed and asked about vitamin d deficiency (rheumatologist asked for me to be put on supplements as it showed deficient) she said "yes it's low but I don't think enough to cause symptoms". ....WTF!!!!

MegCleary Sun 19-Jul-15 20:47:34

My ferritin went down to 2 and I was feeling dreadful, tired, poor memory, snappy, short of breath, dizzy. Took the iron tablets and the pill to to stop my heavy periods and nearly a year on I feel great now. Any time anyone say they feel crap I tell them to check their ferritin.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 19-Jul-15 20:48:06

These are what I'm taking wally www.vitabiotics.com/shop/?productid=55&gclid=CO6q4fz658YCFSLnwgodx-sCsg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now