Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could pregnancy be mistaken for a fibroid?

(28 Posts)
Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 10:28:28

Worried. On the depo injection but bled a lot since. Last intercourse was end of May (sorry if tmi!) and undergoing regular scans for an ovarian cyst. Last scan last week revealed a 'fibroid' but it got me worrying in case what she saw was an early pregnancy? She said it was a fibroid but kept asking me when my last period was which j couldn't answer as been bleeding lightly since depo injection at end of April but unsure if that's due to the injection or indeed a fibroid! X

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 15:06:16

Anyone?

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 17-Jul-15 15:10:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 15:26:11

I'm too scared lol!!! Just thought it would show up when I was scanned but then my imagination got the better of me and twisted it all in my head for the worst! confused

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 15:41:36

On depo and been bleeding for approx 4 weeks tho quite light so surely this would negate pregnancy? Plus had a scan! I know I'm probably being silly but I have no support in RL so MN is often my lifeline! X

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 17-Jul-15 15:52:21

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:01:56

She saw something and said it was a fibroid surely there's a difference? Plus the bleeding constant would surely mean a negative result?! I've been celibate for a while can you tell? Lol x

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 17-Jul-15 16:18:38

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Jul-15 16:22:10

You can see an embryo on a six week scan, you can even see a heart beat .

I think if a sonographer said fibroid it will be a fibroid.

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:29:06

Thanks Tea. Viva she surely wouldn't say it was a fibroid if she wasn't sure would she? Such a worrier I know but goodness pregnancy would be a complete disaster for me at this time in my life! confused I didn't know a pregnancy would show up at 6 weeks but obviously believe what you say. That's reassuring. I'm
Being scanned for an ovarian cyst which sonographer said had either changed or a new one in its place? She said not to worry as she did about the fibroid she said its common? X

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Jul-15 16:47:18

No, she wouldn't say fibroid unless she was sure.

PotteringAlong Fri 17-Jul-15 16:53:52

I think by 6 weeks they would have seen a heartbeat if it was a pregnamcy

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:53:55

Thankyou Viva its my stupid over reactive imagination. I always fear the worst! Xx

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:54:58

Thanks Pottering I'm hoping so wink

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 20:09:29

Don't suppose any sonographers about? X

MarinaCoyle Fri 17-Jul-15 20:17:02

GP who does ultrasounds here. You wouldn't mistake a fibroid for a pregnancy. Fibroids are solid; an early pregnancy would show thickening of the whole womb lining along with at least a yolk sac (which is hollow) and possibly a foetal pole (blob) at one end of it, with the additional possibility of seeing a flickering pixel of heartbeat. Very unlikely to be mixed up.

MarinaCoyle Fri 17-Jul-15 20:19:12

Also if she even thought she might have seen something suspicious for a pregnancy then she or someone in the department would most certainly be requesting that you POAS!

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 20:20:08

Marina thankyou for replying. You've put my mind at rest. Along with the cyst and fibroid I do have quite bad health anxiety as I'm a single mum with no support it frightens me so much the thought of getting ill as I wouldn't have anyone to look after my son. Hence why another pregnancy would be a nightmare for me in my circumstances. Xx

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 20:22:23

I think I was concerned as she kept asking when my last period was which my rational mind knows is related to the fibroid (I think?) but my irrational mind was thinking 'oh my god she's seen an early pregnancy and wants to know dates of periods etc etc....'!! X

MarinaCoyle Fri 17-Jul-15 20:26:36

The period question may actually be related to the cyst. Depending on where you are in your cycle there can be a number of visible small cysts approaching maturation (i.e. Popping out an egg) on the ovaries that are enlarging or fading away. The main cyst you have may be getting smaller in relation to the cycle so it is helpful to know where you are in your cycle to assess the cyst further.

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 20:32:28

Thankyou marina that's very helpful thankyou ��xx

MarinaCoyle Fri 17-Jul-15 20:35:35

No problem. Health anxiety is a shit think to suffer from. Happy to help and I hope things settle down for you. thanks

Shoegal0305 Fri 17-Jul-15 20:39:00

Again thanks, and to all the others who've commented it all helps. As I've said MN is a constant source of support for me xx

Shoegal0305 Mon 03-Aug-15 12:44:11

Little update........ Got a letter this morning from the hospital was shaking like a shitting dog opening it lol.....

It says....

I am pleased to say both the ultrasound scan and blood tests are all normal with no cause for concern. I plan to see you in the future to discuss this further. But is unlikely however that we need to do any further scans or blood tests for this.

As I've mentioned I do suffer from quite bad health anxieties.i am over the moon with this result and obviously the pregnancy worry is now a distant memory! I presume when I do see the consultant he will discuss the recent diagnosis of a fibroid? I've been getting quite a lot of pain but just coming off the depo injection as it didn't agree with me. The pain could be a combination of my body getting back to normal and the cyst/fibroid etc?

tobee Mon 03-Aug-15 16:14:57

Hooray for you Shoegal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now