Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a liver biopsy?

(17 Posts)
WhetherOrNot Thu 16-Jul-15 17:38:02

I've just been told that I have to have a liver biopsy (after a CT scan showed abnormalities). Has anyone on here had one and how painful was it?

I know what to expect (bless YouTube) but I don't think they give sedation in the UK unlike USA.

Twodogsandahooch Thu 16-Jul-15 19:26:48

Not had one personally but am pretty sure they will give you a small dose of sedation if needed.

Twodogsandahooch Thu 16-Jul-15 19:27:58

Not had one personally but am pretty sure they will give you a small dose of sedation if needed.

Twodogsandahooch Thu 16-Jul-15 19:27:58

Poppies26 Thu 16-Jul-15 19:29:40

No sedition given. Is over very fast u have to keep still and hold ur breath for a few seconds. Does hurt but is over fast. Sometimes shoulder pain a day later sometimes not

Elibean Thu 16-Jul-15 23:28:12

I've had two (hepatitis). No sedation. They give you a local anaesthetic, and there are no pain receptors in the liver itself so NO, it wasn't painful. It did feel very weird, slightly shocking (the sensation of having something poking deep inside, iyswim) but not painful.

Aftewards, you have to lie still on your side for several hours - so make sure you don't drink too much beforehand as the loo isn't an option! The first time I had a bad pain in my shoulder a few minutes after the biopsy, this is referred pain from a nerve and I was given painkillers for it (paracetamol). Wasn't awful, but was unpleasant - the second time it didn't happen. I'm telling you about that in case it happens, so you do'nt worry about it.

They monitor your blood pressure and pulse very regularly for hours after the biopsy, just as a safety precaution in case of bleeding, but other than that the procedure itself if very quick and not as bad as I thought it would be.

Good luck, hope all goes well and results are reassuring!

Izzy24 Thu 16-Jul-15 23:35:41

As Elibean said except I got in such a state that they did give me some sedation. It was great. They could have biopsied me from head to toe after the sedation for all I cared!

Hope it goes ok OP.

Footle Fri 17-Jul-15 12:31:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhetherOrNot Fri 17-Jul-15 23:09:57

Thank you everyone especially Elibean - that was most reassuring. Can't say I'm happy about lying on my side for hours though !!

Butterflywings168 Sat 18-Jul-15 02:42:40

I have had one. They did give me light sedation, diazepam iirc and oxygen. It is not a nice feeling, to me it was like getting punched hard there (lower left abdomen) - but it only lasts two seconds. I was a bit tender to touch or if I breathed in very deeply for the rest of the day. That's it. I didn't have to lie on my side for several hours, just a couple, then went home and was fine. It sounded much worse than it actually was smile

Footle Sat 18-Jul-15 06:24:51

gobbin Sun 19-Jul-15 00:19:16

Mine was years ago so things may have changed.

Anyhow, I had an injection of local anaesthetic which stung but bearable. The biopsy was not at all painful but was quite a forceful shove of a big sharp hollow needle into your side. You felt the shove and pressure but didn't hurt.

The referred pain in the shoulder was a bitch but controlled with paracetamol. I was kept in overnight.

gobbin Sun 19-Jul-15 00:19:58

Oh, and no sedation offered or needed.

Butterflywings168 Tue 21-Jul-15 02:56:26

Yeah right blush

gobbin Tue 21-Jul-15 17:06:23

Was that to me, Butterfly?

I can assure you that my liver biopsy took place with no sedation, but I did have a local anaesthetic (like lignocaine or similar) in my side. This was mid-90s though, so procedures may have changed. The biopsy itself really didn't hurt. Shrugs shoulders

Butterflywings168 Tue 21-Jul-15 17:09:00

Haha no, not at you gubbins! I see how it looked like that. I meant that the biopsy is done on the right side of the body, as I had mistakenly said left. It was late blush smile

Footle Tue 21-Jul-15 18:39:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now