Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feeling Scared: breast cancer?

(19 Posts)
PermaShattered Wed 15-Jul-15 21:35:03

I have had a small itchy patch on my nipple for a few days, bit flaky and it won't go. Earlier this evening I did a quick google search and saw it could be a symptom of breast cancer. So i did what i haven't done for a v v long time - and felt my (very small) breasts and there is a big lump deep in, under my nipple. I'm tearful and worried. No history of breast cancer in family.

I'll go to GP first thing but any advice/reassurance would be welcome. My first thought is how long can it take to have a mammogram?

Jo4040 Wed 15-Jul-15 21:45:02

Most lumps turn out to be nothing. Because your breasts are small you will be able to feel all sorts. I have very small breasts so I know. I was shown once when I went to get a lump tested not to dig in, use the padsnof your fingers gently and inna circular motion.

Jo4040 Wed 15-Jul-15 21:45:51

Sorry about the typos.

Jo4040 Wed 15-Jul-15 21:46:20

Also could the itchy oaych be dry skin?

Wolfiefan Wed 15-Jul-15 21:48:36

My name is Wolfie and I have lumpy boobs! I also have dry and flaky nipples depending on the bra I wear. seriously considers an imminent name change!
Most lumps are completely benign but you are doing the right thing in getting it checked.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 15-Jul-15 21:49:52

you will be seen within 2 weeks at breast clinic and get results there and then. 9/10 lumps are benign.

NotTellingYouMyName Wed 15-Jul-15 21:55:37

GP will refer you to be seen at hospital very quickly for further investigation. This doesn't mean they think you have cancer, but they take all breast lumps seriously. I had an itchy lump near my nipple recently. It turned out to be a cyst, and completely harmless as most breast lumps are.

bikeandrun Wed 15-Jul-15 21:56:22

Get used to how your breasts feel on a regular basis, if I press hard I can feel lumps, these sort of alter, much more prominent at certain times in my cycle. I panicked a while ago thinking the lumps had grown but my doctor reassured me the lumps were just part of normal breast tissue. I think these lumpy bits( milk ducts?) are much more noticeable if you have very small breasts like me. Go to go for reassurance and then don't dig in or press hard next time you check.

bikeandrun Wed 15-Jul-15 21:59:31

*go to gp

Jo4040 Thu 16-Jul-15 18:42:56

How are you OP?

PermaShattered Fri 17-Jul-15 08:58:26

Thanks all, and thanks Jo for thinking of me. I'm ok, just trying to remain distracted. GP felt lump straightaway, and also mentioned Pagetts disease - look it up - it's scary. Waiting for mammogram appointment now and we'll take it from there. x

Jo4040 Fri 17-Jul-15 10:21:03

They will get you sorted, don't you worry. Glad you went to GP. Just remember this, your not the only person waiting for tests, and tests are there to put your mind at rest x

PermaShattered Wed 05-Aug-15 17:56:08

Mammogram etc tomorrow. It's been a 3 wk wait. Easy to have been distracted during the day but when i go to bed, my mind has run away sad For those that have been through it, how likely will I get an answer tomorrow as to what it is? How likely more waiting.....? Thanks all.

StayGold Wed 05-Aug-15 19:16:31

Hi Perma, sorry you have to go through this it isn't nice and the wait is pants. I have never had results the same day from a mammogram but have had them routinely every year for 18 years. The wait is always 2 weeks for results. Maybe as a referral you might get earlier. Btw Was diagnosed with bc in June and the speed of getting test results hasn't altered they are usually 2 weeks. So think that might be standard. Fingers crossed for you X

PermaShattered Thu 06-Aug-15 14:55:29

Much relief here! Saw consultant first, then had mammogram and then ultrasound, then consultant again. It's a big cyst! Can have it drained but it's not painful at all so unless it grows i shall leave it for now.

So happy. Thanks for your support, appreciated x

SnottySundays Thu 06-Aug-15 18:30:08

Just saw this, but glad it was good news.

tarashill Fri 07-Aug-15 00:25:09

So pleased for you.

LuluJakey1 Fri 07-Aug-15 09:24:27

That must be a huge relief. Very good news. smile

StayGold Fri 07-Aug-15 18:09:29

Fab news Perma definitely worth celebrating! winegrinX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now