Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would a breast lump be considered urgent for a GP appt?

(9 Posts)
ColdMeatPlatter Tue 14-Jul-15 23:04:06

Hi, I'm ringing GP in the morning regarding a best lump. normally you ring at 8.30 to get an appt that day. If you have no joy, you ring again the following day and so on until you are lucky enough to get an appointment. to be fair it's usually within a day or 2. If they have nothing left they normally ask if it's urgent. I assume they keep a few aside for emergencies. Would a breast lump be considered urgent? I assume no, I'm 32, finished bf in January and no family history. Thanks.

JeanBillie Tue 14-Jul-15 23:08:34

I've been in this position before and I considered it urgent. I hope they do so you can have some peace of mind by having it checked out by a professional. flowers

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 14-Jul-15 23:10:46

I rang up and explained. I was put on the triage list and within 10 minutes they rang me back with a same day appointment smile My GP is brilliant.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 14-Jul-15 23:12:02

They tend to give you an urgent referral to a breast clinic for a lump, which is an appointment within two weeks. I think they'd happily see you ASAP so they can get that referral moving.

Does your practice have a Nurse Practitioner? I've had referrals auctioned by ours recently and that seemed better than taking up an appointment with a GP to me (which I know is daft).

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 14-Jul-15 23:12:11

Sorry was so carried away by happy GP thoughts that I forgot to wish you unlumpy good luck.

FunkyPeacock Tue 14-Jul-15 23:13:49

Yes, it should be treated as urgent. If the receptionist says there are no appointments then you should say what the problem is and they ought to be able to sort something out.

flowers

ColdMeatPlatter Tue 14-Jul-15 23:19:27

Thanks so much everyone, it's a half day clinic tomorrow so I know it will be harder to get in, I just didn't know if it would be unreasonable to mention it but I will. They are very good and there is a nurse as well so will mention an appointment with her if needs be. Thanks for all the good wishes I'm sure it's fine. A family member I'd be a mess! still better to get checked out though thanks thanks

Etak15 Tue 14-Jul-15 23:23:42

I should imagine you would get seen tomorrow - I was in same position as you a few months ago am also 32 with no family history, breastfeeding my 4th dc, I rang up for routine appt and by sheer fluke got one within a couple of days (sometimes can be 3/4 wk wait at our docs! ) so didn't need to make emergency appt. Once there and doc saw examined my strange nodular hard painless lump and enlarged skin pores/puckering that I had been googleing and scaring myself stupid about she suggested that I come back in 2 wks if no different as when I said I was breastfeeding ds (3 months at the time )she thought it was most probably blocked milk duct. I was concerned and tried to barter with her about the length of time I could come back! I said a week we ended up making an appt for 10 days later! By which time my lump had completely disappeared!! Hope yours does too!

Theselittlelightsaremine Tue 14-Jul-15 23:28:28

I had an appointment booked with the doctors for a weeks time but I asked about seeing a nurse as I was worried about a breast lump.
I was seen by the nurse 20mins later and my referral was fax off after that.
I had my appointment at the hospital 9 days later and luckily it was just breast tissue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now