Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anxiety related vomitting

(6 Posts)
Didi43 Tue 14-Jul-15 10:53:29

Hi, I am desperately searching for a way of helping my daughter to stop feeling and being sick before any major event or sport performance, most of the time she ends up vomiting for a considerable amount of time before any important event such as exams or sport fixtures ( which leaves her feeling very ill and hence often unable to participate or she does less well than she is normally able to, which is knocking her confidence), and is becoming so bad that she is becoming more fearful of being sick than of the event itself! She is only 12 so not allowed any anti sickness medication ( we've seen the GP), we have tried travel sickness tablets, homeopathy, Bach flower remedies, deep breathing and relaxation ( which is difficult for her to do as she also suffers from sever rhinitis leaving her with a blocked nose most of the time) . It is getting worse and worse and is affecting her confidence badly, she loves her chosen sport and would love to compete, she still just about manages to do it despite being sick and is so distressing to her and everyone involved. I know that CBT would be normally recommended, but she doesn't have fearful thoughts before the event as such, it is almost as if her body has a mind of its own, and just betrays her! She says she doesn't feel overly nervous, she just feels the nausea developing and its as if she has no say in it....Someone suggested that the problem might be in too much adrenaline,which can cause vomiting? How can we lower the adrenaline levels?

TheHouseOnBellSt Tue 14-Jul-15 19:50:50

Yoga....yoga and meditation would help with the rhinitis too.

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-Jul-15 22:07:31

Hi there OP
Sympathies as I had this as a teen occasionally
Can't really help but am bumping to find those who can and moving your thread to our health topic
Kindest
MNHQ

nmg85 Wed 15-Jul-15 09:30:50

I have a slightly similar situation, any situation where I am stressed & nervous I end up getting really bad acid reflux type symptoms which usually occurs when I have been tossing and turning in bed all night for some odd reason. I know as soon I get up it will occur and sadly have to go through the motion of being sick. This does occur even when I feel 'calm' about a situation and does feel like my body is trying to rule my head. I would try CBT, it did help a little bit for me. Also hypnotherapy may help, I had a fear of flying and thought this would bring on a horrendous 'attack on the morning of the flight and it really wasn't as bad as I expected, only mild nausea on the morning of the outbound flight and none on the return.

girliefriend Wed 15-Jul-15 22:08:33

She has my sympathies as I often vomit if I get very anxious about something, my advice would be that as much as possible to be very matter of fact about it and then as quickly as possible move on and do whatever it was that she was feeling anxious about.

Also keep distracted, I also find things like fennel/peppermint and chamomile tea helpful.

I would also be thinking about how much pressure she is being out under? What exams and sports fixtures is she doing?

wishingchair Wed 15-Jul-15 22:13:09

My dd (also 12) is like this. Can be big things like starting new school or she'll feel wobbly and a bit sick even for things like non-uniform days. Don't have an answer sadly - I try to distract her and keep her talking. She would love to do yoga but all classes near by are either during day or age 14+.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now