Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast clinic - what to expect?

(5 Posts)
TheWildRumpyPumpus Sun 12-Jul-15 22:30:43

I have an appt at the breast clinic tomorrow morning after finding a lump a couple of weeks ago. I saw my GP who said he could feel 'thickening' but wasn't sure so did the referral.

Will I see a nurse or doctor? Do they have a feel and send you on your way if there's nothing there or does everyone get a scan/mammogram appt?

Am really nervous!

mrsrhodgilbert Mon 13-Jul-15 08:01:29

Hello, I have experience of breast clinics and the staff are very kind. You should be seen by a consultant who will do a physical examination and take a medical history. Depending on your age you will then be sent for a mammogram, younger breasts are dense and more difficult to get a good image from so you may have an ultrasound scan instead or as well.

If everything looks ok you should be told there and then. If there is some uncertainty they may take a biopsy, don't worry, they will anaesthetise the area first. Biopsy results take about a week to come back, in this instance you should leave with a follow up appt for next week.

It's natural to be nervous but the odds on it being innocent are very high.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Mon 13-Jul-15 08:07:18

Thanks for the reply.

I had a breast reduction many years ago so my breasts are scarred which has always made feeling for lumps hard. There's just definitely something there now that wasn't there before. I've also had discharge which I know isn't good.

I'm worrying about how someone new to my scarred damaged breasts will be able to tell a lump from what's already 'abnormal but normal' for me.

Panic panic panic.

WiIdfire Mon 13-Jul-15 08:23:47

Don't panic! They will be used to seeing loads of post-op breasts. Just point out the area that you are worried about.

As above, what will happen is this:
1) A chat with the doctor about symptoms and history.
2) an examination of both breasts and armpits. You will be offered a nurse to be in with you to chaperone.
3) imaging - either a mammogram or an ultrasound or both. Some clinics do these the same day, others you have to come back for.
4) possibly a biopsy - especially if there is scar tissue that makes the area unclear - so dont worry just because they are biopsying, it doesnt mean anything.
5) a biopsy will take a week at least to come back so you will be booked into a results clinic to chat about what was found. Imaging results are sometimes given at the first appointment, sometimes in the results appt.

Good luck, hopefully it is nothing.

Pollywallywinkles Mon 13-Jul-15 17:10:29

Just to add what others have said, you will be there for a long time, so either take someone with you or a book etc to help the time pass.

I've always found the staff at the breast clinic to be really lovely.

Hope all goes well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now