Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Private gastroenterologist in London area

(10 Posts)
Kamden Sun 12-Jul-15 20:33:37

I have Ulcerative Colitis which is in remission and I have no complaints about my consultant with regards to this. However, every time I bring up my upper GI issues, it's brushed off as my endoscopy was perfectly normal. They prescribed omeprazole and sent me on my way.

I get the most horrendous pain in my upper abdomen after I have eaten. I have kept a food diary but there is no pattern. I can only eat small amounts in regular intervals or I'll vomit. I haven't eaten a normal sized meal for months. Sometimes I randomly vomit anyway, even if I've had a small meal. It's affecting me socially as I can only eat a limited repetoire of foods and I can't eat out at all really, unless I lie down instantly for an hour or two.

I am after a second opinion and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a private gastro in the London area please?

Thanks in advance.

LHReturns Sun 12-Jul-15 20:42:14

Dr Richard Marley at The Physicians Clinic in very very good OP...brilliant man (but expensive but you sound in great need!).

pinkfrocks Sun 12-Jul-15 20:48:05
Here - Peter Irving.

pinkfrocks Sun 12-Jul-15 20:49:37

His special interest is your problem. I have spoken to him (professionally, not as a patient) and he seems to know his stuff .

gingeroots Mon 13-Jul-15 11:12:22

Not my business I know ,but are you not able to access the NHS ?

IME this would be dealt with by an urgent ( within 2 weeks ) referral for an endoscopy .

Kamden Mon 13-Jul-15 18:58:34

Thank you for the recommendations.

I was seen by my usual NHS gastroenterologist (I've had Ulcerative Colitis for many years) who referred me for an endoscopy. Not urgently but that's fine. It was normal, so they sent me on my way with anti-emetics and omeprazole.

Pangurban Wed 15-Jul-15 07:41:04

If it is uc, do you have colonoscopies? If you have it for many years, then these should be done to monitor the bowel as cancer risk increases the longer you have the condition. Or is the vomiting being treated as a separate issue and not uc related?

Kamden Wed 15-Jul-15 09:37:44

They suspect the vomiting is a separate issue as my UC is in remission. My gastroenterologist has a particular interest in IBD and bowel cancel, so I trust him in that respect. I have normal inflammation markers, normal fecal calprotectin and annual colonoscopies, which are also looking very healthy. I agree that I have an upper GI problem, not sure if it's an unfortunate coincidence but it seems likely.

hellomynameis Sun 19-Jul-15 05:24:29

Dr Hart. St Marks Hospital.

LondonGA Tue 11-Aug-15 13:48:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now