Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thrush- could this be hygiene related?

(6 Posts)
LuckyLopez Sun 12-Jul-15 14:57:46

I'm experiencing only my second bout of thrush. The first was last year after some major antibiotics which I know is very common. However this time it's come from nowhere so I'm wondering if it's something I've done? I assumed I wasn't particularly prone to getting it so don't know what has changed. I am well aware the vagina is self cleaning and doesn't need to actually be washed but could it be z hygiene thing? Or any other suggestions? It's so expensive to treat I'd like to minimise occurrences if I can!

pinkfrocks Sun 12-Jul-15 16:46:19

Thrush is not a result of being 'dirty' in fact you are more likely to get thrush by over-washing (especially with soap or shower gels etc).

Thrush grows in warm and moist places, and also if you are run down sometimes. Best way to avoid it is not wear tight jeans, or nylon/ polyester knickers, not eat too much sugar as this can affect the acidic balance in your body and allow thrush to grow.

Showers are better than baths, cotton underwear, dresses or skirts and not trousers when it's warm weather, etc.

LuckyLopez Sun 12-Jul-15 19:44:08

Thank you. Possibly a side effect from the warm weather then? I live in trousers- I work in childcare so not very easy to work in dresses or skirts. I also eat way too much sugar.... sad feeling very sorry for myself right now. It's miserable.

pinkfrocks Sun 12-Jul-15 20:14:03

Have you bought the oral tablet and / or the pessaries? You can use both.
why can't you wear skirts etc if you work with children?

LuckyLopez Sun 12-Jul-15 20:18:45

I've taken the oral tablet and have the cream to relieve symptoms. I feel more comfortable in trousers, more modest and less likely to flash my undies!

ispyfispi Tue 14-Jul-15 21:05:14

Also tampons can alter the balance of good/bad bacteria. You can get non-bleached ones or even a mooncup instead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now