Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heart pounding in the heat?

(9 Posts)
ringingin Sat 11-Jul-15 18:56:22

I love this warmer weather we're having (26 degrees in the South today) but I've noticed that I can't hack any form of exercise in anything above about 22 degrees. I always thought it was anxiety or stress making me feel like crap when out and about on holiday but now it occurs to me that I might be overexerting myself?

Basically my heart pounds even if I'm just going for a short walk along the street in the sunshine, and I don't seem to sweat half as much as other people do, nor do I go red. My feet swell up though and the veins on my hands pop out like crazy.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I went for a long ramble today and nearly fell asleep halfway through; I was so tired and my heart just was jack hammering as if I was at the gym sad

gamerchick Sat 11-Jul-15 18:57:29

You need to drink more fluids. Quite a bit more by the sounds of it.

TheBookofRuth Sat 11-Jul-15 19:14:43

Yep, drink more water, you're dehydrated.

I always get headaches in the heat too as I never manage to drink enough.

jalopy Sat 11-Jul-15 20:42:23

Are you anaemic?

LineRunner Sat 11-Jul-15 20:44:19

When I worked in the Middle East we were recommended 5 litres of water a day.

It's hot here. Drink more. Much, much more than you ever imagined. smile

glorious Sat 11-Jul-15 20:53:10

I'm sure everything's fine but having just had a scary week with a heart issue (too slow in my case) I would say have a chat with your GP. There are lots of highly treatable minor heart niggles that I didn't know existed until this week and it might just be worth ruling them out.

As I say, sure other posters are right and more water is the way to go.

ringingin Sat 11-Jul-15 22:03:27

Thanks all, I am not the best at keeping hydrated - I'll redouble my efforts! I don't think I could be anaemic as I have a very iron-rich diet and feel fit and energetic when the weather is cooler, but for some reason I just seem to slow down far too much in the summer!

Tistheseasonbear Sat 11-Jul-15 22:07:54

I am the same when I get into a hot car without air con... Heart pounds horribly until the car cools down.
I avoid saunas too!

Tistheseasonbear Sat 11-Jul-15 22:08:43

Didn't realise drinking could affect it!! I probably have 3 drinks a day if that so maybe I'll try drinking more and see if it helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now