Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Taking Steroids and feel like I am losing my mind.

(4 Posts)
SlightlyUnhingedTapps Sat 11-Jul-15 15:23:51

Just need to get this out there. It's hard talking to friends without sounding crazy. I've been on steroids for 10 days. I have another 7 weeks to go. I can't sleep. I'm only getting a few hours with sleeping tablets. I can't focus on anything. I feel utterly hopeless. I know it's only short term and soon it'll be over. But I feel like all the joy in my life is gone.
I imagined once I started stepping down it would get better, but the last few days have felt worse.

gingeroots Sat 11-Jul-15 17:02:00

I really feel for you .I was a raving mess coming off steroids.

Please talk to your GP or whoever to see if they can suggest anything .

Sorry not to be any help flowers for you .

SlightlyUnhingedTapps Sat 11-Jul-15 17:59:33

Thanks. It's just good not to be suffering in silence. Just posting this feels like I am releasing some of the crazy. Emergency GP appt, best I could get was next Thursday. Which bodes well for the family holiday on Saturday.

Jellybean83 Sat 11-Jul-15 21:19:50

I really struggled with the psychological side effects of steroids, and it always followed the same pattern -
Higher doses (25+) Manic and full of energy.
Middle (15-25) short fuse, angry all the time, snappy, shouting at people for the least little thing.
Lower doses depression, tearful, suicidal thoughts, these were the toughest but I've had so many courses of steroids over the last 10 years so it was easier to recognise that it was the pred altering my thoughts, which made these feelings a bit easier to deal with. I don't really have any advice, but what you're experiencing is 'normal' and things do improve once your course finishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now