Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The old one - hysterectomy + ovary removal experiences and a smile

(8 Posts)
Theas18 Wed 08-Jul-15 22:46:15

Been for what should have been removal of fibroid and endometrial ablation today ...

" very rarely , and it is rare after we remove a fibroid, we can't complete the ablation "

Yeah well that's me -.rare stuff usually is!

So I'm fibroid less ( well the big one is gone) but have others, a huge uterine cavity and " very vascular" lining . The impression was that he thought id been minimising symptoms ( which I suppose I have, I don't like to be thought a wimp ).

Next stop 6 months wait and see ( new shiny Mirena in) but basically hysterectomy next stop as no signs menopause yet. Wouldn't it be lovely to have a test that said " menopause due in 6 months" or nah you have another 6 yrs. it would answer things !

Symptom wise I feel chronically rubbish but have lots of reasons from bereavement to work stress to feel like that but I'm not anaemic- which surprised him- but I have a v good diet I guess so make blood cells well.

So was hysterectomy the best thing ever or the worst for you?

The smile is the silliness of the post op chat when you are still dopey. Realised after that pulling my nightie over my exposed knees was slightly pointless when chatting to the gent who 2hrs before had been elbow deep in my nethers like james Herriot !

amarmai Wed 08-Jul-15 22:57:41

Fibroids are very common pre menopause and while they can be very painful, 99+% are non cancerous and will shrink as you go thru menopause. I was offered a hysterectomy when i consulted a gynocologist for my fibroids. I declined and so did the fibroids . The hospitals sell the contents of the ovaries and anything else they can make money from this unnecessary harvesting operation.

Theas18 Wed 08-Jul-15 23:05:06

Thanks for your input amarmaii. I'd be interested in the source of your info re sellimg of ovarian tissues.....I also fully understand the pros and cons of leaving / removal and have seen ovarian cancer in the raw. That is my decision.

I know that stats re fibroid shrinkage and menopause. Ive been choosing not to act for about 6yrs now and could have another 6 to natural menopause based on average stats

Costacoffeeplease Wed 08-Jul-15 23:09:28

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and removal of one ovary due to fibroids, almost 3 years ago BEST THING EVER. Yes, recovery takes a while but no periods, no flooding, no faffing, no more smears - what's not to like?? I'd go for it rather than waiting and seeing

Theas18 Wed 08-Jul-15 23:32:17

Thanks Costa. I had the option this time and , apart from wimpish ness it was work concerns that stopped me diving in this time ( partnership and 2 partners off over the summer- me on top of ready booked holiday- would break the remaining partners - I really mean that - as well as financially be a killer ) . I really have such a poor ability to judge my own symptom severity I think sad

Ah well autumn / January would be doeable re work. I also have an agreed strategy re my holiday to be symptom free I hope smile

amarmai Wed 08-Jul-15 23:47:50

hospitals also sell the circumsised foreskins they harvest -they go into very expensive skin creams. DYOR.

ButterscotchClouds Thu 09-Jul-15 00:08:53

I have sent you a message with my experience which I hope helps you. Just for interest there are blood tests that can be done to estimate how far from menopause you are.

tobee Thu 09-Jul-15 01:57:39

Hello. Had a subtotal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago today for a large fibroid that was causing appalling flooding 2 days a month and some kind of bleeding the other days. Last December I had an op to remove fibroid which did not get rid of all of it and in fact made it worse causing some prolapse. So I chose not to try other procedures and opted for hysterectomy. I was put on an urgent waiting list due to severe, chronic anaemia. My sister had one for similar reasons last November.. My fibroid's position meant it had to be done abdominally. Even though I'm still recovering and haven't had my check up with the surgeon, I am already feeling the benefit. It is just amazing not to be bleeding anymore, to not yo use sanitary protection every day, to know I won't frighten my kids by nearly fainting and saturating my jeans in blood (sorry if tmi), things that occurred on several occasion in public. My sister agrees about hers btw.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now