Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Over anxious about gall bladder op.

(6 Posts)
Kreeshsheesh Wed 08-Jul-15 19:32:57

I'm having my gallbladder removed due to the fact it contains a 1cm polyp. I'm waiting to hear when the op will happen, (apparently before end of summer) but I'm finding it hard not to be ridiculously over-anxious about it all. I'm petrified of the anaesthetic, have a phobia about being sick and am now starting to worry about what the polyp actually is! I know it's preferable to have it removed, but now I'm imagining all sorts of negative, doom and gloom scenarios, especially after reading the information leaflets detailing complications, etc. Sadly, I do have a history of catastrophising, but have been trying to deal with these things by myself. Has anyone had this situation or similar and can maybe reassure me a bit?

Cheerfulmarybrown Wed 08-Jul-15 20:12:55

Stop just Stop! You are over catastrophising. < this is said is a reassuring not bossy way> It will be fine. I had my gall bladder out 10 years ago and was petrified but it was absolutely fine.

It was the first anaesthetic I had had so was worried but it was a non event.. Lovely staff helped relax me and after the op I did not feel sick, was not sick and did not even need painkillers. I took it easy for a while but did not feel ill just a bit tired.

I think you are more likely to be sick if you do not have the op than if you do. If you have had a gallbladder attack the op is a walk in the park. Don't waste time worrying over it you will be ok.

Kreeshsheesh Wed 08-Jul-15 20:21:35

Thank you for the reply. I know I'm my own worst enemy! I do need a bit of a talking to. It's all part of a wider issue of anxiety since my teens, but this waiting for the op is something I know I just have to deal with. I had an anaesthetic once before for a missed m/c op and at the time I told the anaesthetist my fears. She told me they give anti-emetics anyway, but for some reason I'm just horribly frightened of the idea of the lack of control and being 'made' to go under anaesthetic and maybe not waking up again. Ironically my gall bladder symptoms haven't actually been that severe, just a niggling pain for months. This is probably because I don't actually have any stones, just this polyp. Thanks again.

NotSoSkinnyNow Wed 08-Jul-15 20:29:05

Hi kreesh
5 weeks ago, I could have written your op. I was super stressed about the anesthetic, the operation

NotSoSkinnyNow Wed 08-Jul-15 20:39:48

Sorry posted too soon on dodgy phone

Anyhow... I know exactly how you feel, but honestly try not to worry.
I was alone in the hospital as DP had to sort the DCs and collect them from school before coming to collect me.
Hospital staff were amazing. Really calming and just fabulous.

5 weeks on and I'm better than new! No pain or discomfort (there was a bit for the first couple of days, but it was manageable)

I'm so glad I didn't chicken-out and let my anxiety get the better of me.

Sorry, my dodgy phone is acting up and my keyboard keeps disappearing.
Feel free to pm me if you want smile

Kreeshsheesh Fri 10-Jul-15 10:55:26

Hi NotSoSkinnyNow, thank you for your post, it does reassure me a bit. I think I need to stop obsessing and occupy myself whilst waiting to hear about the op!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now