Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Neurontin/Gabapentin

(5 Posts)
fearandloathinginambridge Wed 08-Jul-15 10:41:56

My lovely MIL has just called me in tears. FIL has a whole history of health issues and has had 4 strokes over the last 15 years. The most recent stroke was about a year ago and it left him with the shakes. He has recently (last 3 weeks) been prescribed Neurontin to help with this. During this period his behaviour has changed, he has become melancholy, moody and (sorry) horny. It's all a worry but his other health issues have left him unable to have sex for years and my MIL had resigned herself to never having sex again years ago, so the latter is particularly concerning as it is a definite behaviour change and he is now constantly demanding sex in a rather aggressive way I gather which is upsetting her - although his mobility issues would prevent him from posing a threat to her in this regard IFKWIM.

Obviously she needs to get him to the GP to discuss this and look at maybe changing the drug - if that is what is causing the behaviour change. All other things are equal so it does look as though it is the drug. Unfortunately, h is also refusing to go to the GP again to talk about these behaviour changes.

I supposed I am asking if anybody out there has experience with this medication and knows if it can cause these changes - it does mention depression in the side effects but not the other stuff! Also are there alternatives to help treat shakes?

NotKissingTipsy Wed 08-Jul-15 10:53:39

I would suggest that she contacts GP immediately , if I remember correctly they can cause changes in behaviour & it's listed in the warnings/ side affects as something to look out for .

I became severely depressed on this medication but successfully changed to a more suitable one.

NotKissingTipsy Wed 08-Jul-15 10:54:57

* side effects ! confused

fearandloathinginambridge Wed 08-Jul-15 11:27:30

Thanks for your reply. That's very helpful to know. Now we just have to get him to the GP.

WhenMarnieWasThere Thu 09-Jul-15 00:18:38

There are lots of similar drugs to neurontin that could be tried. There's Lyrica which is very similar and tegretol too.

Tegretol made me ill but I've been able to cope pretty well with gabapentin. Some side effects for me (mostly memory and word-recall problems) but no change in mood. DH would love it if it made me horny!

I hope his GP helps him find something more suitable for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now