Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bunions

(8 Posts)
onedayatatime73 Tue 07-Jul-15 09:45:28

I have these on both feet. Been ignoring them for a while but now uncomfortable and I find them embarrassing. Can't wear nice shoes anymore and nothing seems to fit.

Have been in doctor Google and seen there is now new and less invasive surgery. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Has anyone been to the European foot institute? Advice please.

Jenninlw Tue 04-Aug-15 22:20:32

See this blog about bunions and shoes to see of you can find anything for your feet www.callashoes.com before you go for the op. I've thought about it too but don't have the luxury of being off my feet during recovery as I have two small children.

Madlizzy Tue 04-Aug-15 22:27:48

Be aware that it's a fairly traumatic operation. I was off work for 5 weeks and in a special shoe for 12. It took a year for the swelling to completely subside. I had it done last may.

RandomMess Tue 04-Aug-15 22:30:58

How much pain were you in Madlizzy to go ahead with the op?

When mine hurts it's horrific but not contant, bit worried about just how bad it could get...

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Tue 04-Aug-15 22:40:40

Look at why you've got them before you decide to go ahead with surgery.
Are they because you over pronate when you walk (your foot turns over towards your big toe slightly)? Or are they as a result of poor fitting shoes?
I over pronate and wish I'd not bothered having it done. It was quite sore when it was done, but I had post op pain for months and months afterwards. Turns out it was because my four was just going back to the original shape pre-op because the way I walk was forcing it back. They didn't tell me what had caused it initially.

RandomMess Tue 04-Aug-15 22:49:01

Hmm mine are hereditary anyway...

I already have to wear special insoles! Not sure what else can be done to stop them getting worse.

Jenninlw Wed 05-Aug-15 09:36:20

My issue is the same as blue... My feet over pronate so no point in getting the bunion surgery done. The bunions kind of form to stop your feet rolling inwards! I always wondered why I stopped walking like a duck and it's because my bunions had got so big ha ha!

Madlizzy Wed 05-Aug-15 18:00:04

I was uncomfortable and some shoes wouldn't fit. I'd have waited longer if I'd known what it would be like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now